Brittany Ferries-French Leave | FerrariChat

Brittany Ferries-French Leave

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Robbo, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robbo

Robbo Karting

Feb 16, 2004
    I have a reservation from Portsmouth > St Malo and wondered if any other owners have experienced problems with travelling on ferries ( scrapes/dings etc ). I have seen some real 'smacks' -Kids openeing doors into other cars, handbrakes etc. Anybody had similar ?

2. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

Be carefull i used the same operator last year en route to Le Mans. Because the they packed the cars so tightly, i had to get out of my 355 through the drivers window (6ft 5in and 17 stone) The net result was £2,500 worth of damage. They eventualy paid up but it took nearly six months. Never again.

Regards

Stewart

3. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Reminds me of my first trip on Eurostar.. in a brand new car (less than 200 miles on the clock).. the person arranging the cars asked me to move close behind the car infront.. closer.. closer.. (I looked at him nervously.. he gave me a "come on, it's OK" look) then *BUMP*

Gah, I was SO annoyed.. the operator gave me an insurance claim form and walked off, no apology.

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    No wonder you had a bump. Eurostar is passenger only!!!! I think you mean EuroTunnel...

5. GOS 348

GOS 348 Karting

Jan 17, 2004
    Edenbridge, Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris Gosling
    I always go Hoverspeed 1st Class . £25/head extra (was £15 until recently),which includes priority load and unload, more space around the car, reserved seating area, free papers and meal.

6. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    At Easter I took Brittany Ferries' Portsmouth-Santander crossing with my TR. Maybe it was because the crossing was not packed out, or maybe because of sustaining insurance expenses are related by the unfortunates in this thread, but whatever, the crew were as diligent as if I'd been loading the Mona Lisa uncrated.

They had me wait until the last vehicle had driven on, before guiding me into a bay at the stern (less wave-motion than in the bow), with ample room around the car. When we docked, the officer in charge of unloading radio'd for wooden planks to be laid at the junctions of ship-ramp-dock, and guided me diagonally across them in order avoid scraping the spoiler.

Same for the return journey which was otherwise marred by a violent storm in the Bay of Biscay.