F355 sticking throttle, after lifting only...not at tip in | FerrariChat

F355 sticking throttle, after lifting only...not at tip in

Discussion in '348/355' started by goldyF355, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Hello all,

Just got my first Ferrari, a 95 F355 berlinetta. Its everything I had hoped it would be, except for 1 annoying thing...the dreaded sticking throttle....which I understand is a common problem on these cars,especially early models.

Now,b4 I'm told to use the search function since this has been discussed many times already, Let me assure you that in fact I have read virtually all posts on this topic (about 6 threads by my count) HOWEVER, there does not appear to be a concensus on how to fix this problem once and for all.

I have heard....

Need new throttle linkage cable

Need updated piece form ferrari,called a "quadrant?"

Lube linkage assembly

Repack grease internally

I have also heard this problem can be partialy or completely cured, and can reoccur...it seems to be quite a gremlin. It is the one sore spot on an otherwise incredible drive...it is virtually impossible to drive smoothly at low speeds and quite the scarey thing when reapplying throttle after a turn...talk about a thrilling ride,lol.

Is there a definitve answer? I would much appreciate comments/answers...

Thanks,

Goldy

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Have you checked to make sure that the 355 cruse control isn't on? Oh you didn't know the 355 had cruse control. Well it does. It is located on the drivers side foot well. It is most comonly called the floor mat. LOL. Have a look and see that it hasn't slid up. Many times owners have over looked that.

3. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Yes, I should have listed that amongst the many other solutions.

Ferrari cruise control is set to off,lol.

4. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    I went through this with my 355 it is the throttle cable ,it is because the cable routes too close to a coolant hose and it heats up the plastisc end of the cable this plastic piece disforms and gets caught when the throttle is closed ,,,so when you get back on the throttle it sticks ,and then comes free ,replace the cable and insulate near the colant hose and all be right with the world.
    DAVID

5. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Thanks David, Did this completely cure the problem?...or was it more of an improvement?.

I was planning to at least replace the cable and get the updated quadrant thingy from ferrari, but I will certainly insulate around the area you described as well...thanks for the additional idea.

Im sure you must remember how frustrating it is to drive in this condition...my girlfriend was giving me funny looks as I was "jerking" us around town while out for a drive earlier,lol.How embarrasing!!

Thanks again,

Goldy

6. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    when I bought my 355 ferrari of atlanta sais that there was a problem with the throttle sticking so they replaced the quadrant to the new style quadrant .I got the car and thought that the throttle su..ked,so thecar went up to ferrari of ned england and they replaced the cable probled solved ,it is like driving a new car .
    DAVID

7. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Well, just arranged for a service call later this month...they are looking for a quadrant and already have the cable...I also asked them to insulate around the coolant hose that is closest to the cable....can't wait to experience that "like driving a new car" deal!! Thanks again David.

WOW,my first ferrari unscheduled service/repair...it feels like a rite of passage or something,lol.

Goldy

8. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    please let us know how everything works out after the service.

9. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Roger that! As soon as I know......

10. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    Well, just got the car back from the dealer.....gave it a good couple hours boot, and it appears the sticking throttle issue is 95% cured. There still seems to be an ever so slight stick,...but its not enough to interfere with slow, smooth driving...Its almost like driving a new car!

The work done involved replacing the throttle cable and insulating around the coolant hoses that were in close proximity to the cable. The mechanic showed me where my original cable had frayed (causing it to stick) and where the outside sheathing of the cable had been subjected to heat damage..it looked "browned"...slightly toasted for sure.

The mechanic apparently had never heard of an updated "throttle quadrant", so one was not installed...doesnt seem to need it, but it MIGHT take care of that last 5% of stick...maybe when it gets replaced next time.

A special thanks goes out to David (mondial86) for his prompt and accurate diagnosis and solution...it really seems to have worked like a charm. ALSO, thanks to all those others who took the time out to respond with their helpful suggestions and comments...HEY, this chat board thing really works!! LOL

Goldy

11. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    ROCK ON ,glad to help ,now DRIVE THE THING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DAVID