Are Schumi and Barichello competing under the same basic conditions? | FerrariChat

Are Schumi and Barichello competing under the same basic conditions?

Discussion in 'F1' started by millemiglia, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    A conspiracy theory I've heard is that Schumi gets the best parts for his car, the best engineers or that they "detune" Barichellos car to make sure Schumi is faster. Could this be true?
    Or do they have the same basic setup on their cars and Schumi is just that much better at driving his car?
    How much influence do the drivers have on the setup of their cars and the strategy in the pit?

// Peter

2. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    It would be crazy for Ferrari to detune Barichello's car just so Michael could win. Slowing him down for Michael would slow him down for everybody else.

3. davel

davel Guest

From what Steve Matchett has said about last years car, the 2003GA, it suited Rubens better as it was a car that had understeer inherently. It didnt suite MS driving style as much, as he prefers a car that oversteers and is edgier.
    That being said, my guess is they made the new car from the outset to suit MS driving style. Rubens now seems to be the one struggling with set up and tires for the races and not MS.

4. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I spoke directly to the head racing engineer at Ferrari over the week-end. The cars are made from the same parts, each car is identical save for set up.
    Identical performance and the parts from one to the other are identical and interchangeable. The seats of course are a little different. The idea of detuning one engine is silly in that Ferrari wants to win the constructors championship and to do that they need both cars finishing as high as possible.

Just my 2 cents of course.

5. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    BTW he also implied that Ross has final say on pit strategy.

6. pipecrash

pipecrash Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    Los Altos, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter A.
    I like the sept 2003 article in F1 racing it shows how schumi uses left foot braking, later downshifts to keep a tad more speed thru the turns.. great article shows were he makes up some of his time.

7. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    oh great... just what this world is lacking a conspiracy theory.
    MS = best driver in F1
    RB = second best driver in F1
    points standings and performance reflect that. end of story.

8. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    That makes sense, Rubens seems to struggle harder this year to make podium result than last year.
    // Peter