how to place order for new 420 Monza? | FerrariChat

how to place order for new 420 Monza?

Discussion in '360/430' started by JimSchad, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I don't even own a ferrari yet, but was thinking....can I just walk into Ferrari of Dallas and place an order for the 360 replacement and put a deposit down?

Then when it comes in I might be able to buy it by then or I could do the flip thing and sell it on the open market and maybe make a buck.

Since I don't care when it comes in is this feasible? what is deposit amount? what if I change my mind after I reserve it etc? what are my exit strategies?

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    A friend of mine has been trying to get put on 'the list' for about 8 months. He keeps getting a variety of reasons why it can't happen. He's even willing to cough up the deposit, but they won't take it.

He went to see the Gallardo this week, do you want to guess what he's thinking now?

3. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I am pretty sure that you can go place an order but that doesn't mean you will be the first one to take delivery of the 360 Replacement even if you were the first one to put a deposit down. You will probably be put on a list and many 360 replacements will be delivered to past Ferrari owners before you would get yours. I bet Ferrari of Dallas works a lot like other Ferrari dealers. First priority goes to past customers. They reward past customers for their loyalty and they know they will keep their cars and not sell them for a profit. To the first time owner this might not seem fair but that is the way it goes. If you really want to take delivery of the 360 replacement as soon as possible then I would suggest you buy a pre-owned Ferrari or Maserati from Ferrari of Dallas. That will show them that you are serious and that you aren't looking to buy a Ferrari to make a quick $$$.

4. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

well it isn't really to make a buck. more like it would take 3 years for it to show up, but by then I could maybe afford it so would be a win/win. New 420 for sticker price.

what is usual deposit amount? $10K?

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    spitzer should be investigating these ferrari dealers, they amke waal street look completely legit.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#6 Ricambi America, Jun 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Jack Russell (Dan)....I almost fell out of my chair !!!! You are sooo correct.

Here in Toronto, they ask for $50k down just before the build of picking colors....but before that you have to be on a list, and if they go through the list and you should be so lucky they may pick you and your 50 grand.

I own an 86 TR and wanted to buy the 360 yrs ago and they told me maybe 2005, but if the new model comes out you would have to wait again from the begining....AND I ALREADY OWN ONE !!!!

8. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

"maybe make a buck". Most of us that follow the business section know that you don't do much without future profit in mind. It sounds like a good idea and the worst that could happen is you'd have to take delivery and drive the beast. If I were you I'd stick to my other two jobs and go with what you know. I never quite trust the guys doing this for some reason.

9. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    5K is what I was quoted by Ferrari of Seattle
    is August 2003. Then in November, they quit
    taking deposits on the Spiders. I believe they
    saw many people buying Cars to "Flip" them for
    profit (witness the numbers of low mileage 360
    Spiders offered by individuals at 40-50K over
    book, but not THROUGH the Dealers by which
    they purchased it). I'm sure if You/I bought
    one of their "In stock" used F-Cars they would
    gladly take a deposit AND give you a "window"
    delivery date.

10. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This was not my experience. 18 months ago I walked into Ferrari of Ontario, put $15,000 down, and was told that I would get my car in approximately 18 months. I have been driving it for almost two months!

I am not a previous customer -- this is my first Ferrari. Three years ago, I was told the list was too long, but 18 months ago that was not the case.

I know there is a fair amount of dealer bashing on this site, but so far my experience has been pleasant, and as advertised.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Bob,
    You went 18 months ago, I went in 2000 which was 4 years ago....think they may have changed there tone abit since the lambo shop opened here in toronto with many Murc sitting and Gallordos driving around yorkville. Glad you got your car, didnt work for me 4yrs ago.BTW: Im not dealer bashing at all, just stating what happened to me. Guess I wasn't convining at the age of 30 slamming 250 grand !!

12. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Is he thinking "Dang nabbit, I guess I gotta settle for this overpriced Audi b/c I can't have the real thing" ?

13. Leica

Leica Rookie

Apr 15, 2004
    The time of wait is dependent on only one thing! The price OVER sticker!!!

As soon as the premium over the sticker price is negligible the wait is suddenly shorterr. Cars seldom get "lost at sea". For some strange reason orders in front of you get "cancelled" or guys can't get "financing", etc... ;)

Basically if one is to place an order for a 360 Modena or 360 CS now, you would get the car in 6 months. If you were to have placed an order for the same car 12 months earlier you would have still gotten that car 6 months from now. It would have made no difference!

Sure existing customers get some priority (maybe a 6 month break wait wise at most?), but unless you are a money making customer you ain't gonna get a new model in the first couple of years.

And remember existing customers, i.e those that buy a new Ferrari every 2-3 years or so are NOT really financially beneficial to the dealers. Dealers make next to nothing on new cars.

So who is a money making customer? Someone who races in the Challenge series, brings at least 2-3 cars to track days, maybe even sponsors the dealership’s racing team, like Risi Competizione and buys old and/or rare Ferraris like F50GT, 333SP, etc. Basically one who makes the dealership at least $100K NET profit per year... He WILL get one of the first 420 Monzas. The rest will be sold by the dealers as "used"...

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Leica--some other thoughts.

Mostly, recently, new Ferraris from dealers sell at sticker. The 456 was discounted, the 575 is getting close. The profit (roughly) is 15% of sticker, not including options. So making 30K on each spider sold is not chump change. Plus, loyal (which often also means local) customers service their new Ferraris at the dealer, keeping the service department going. Warranty work also adds dollars to the coffers. Plus, many folks end up owning more than one Ferrari at once (Ka-Ching). Obviously, someone who supports a challenge team is a sugar daddy, but dealers do OK on new car customers.

15. Leica

Leica Rookie

Apr 15, 2004
    Wow, 15%? You sure? I thought it was 10% tops...

BTW I was refering to the 360's. Obviously the 456's and 550/575 are and always have been readily available, hence no premium. If Ferrari were smart they would make the replacement for those really desirable too, make thier dealers even richer. But look at the 456's replacement the 612, such a masterpiece of engineering ruined by horrible looks! What were they thinking off???

I wonder what the 575's replacement will look like? I personally doubt it will be exotic looking either. For starters, the engine is in the wrong place...

16. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    if u arent friends with the Ferrari dealer or if you dont give the dealer ca$h on the side (I suggest at least $10K cash).....you AINT gettting the 420 until maybe at least 3 years later.

if u dont match either of these 2 reasons, dont even bother to put ur deposit down even if they will take it. waitling lists mean **** at a Ferrari dealership. It's all about money & connections.

17. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It seems that some dealers are taking deposits and others aren't.

Hubert's point is well taken. I put $5K down for the 420/430. But I am under no misapprehension that this means I am on some sort of "list." There is no list. As I see it, the money gets the ball rolling, let's them know I'm here, and once cars start to be delivered I'll call and find out what's up. I was told it will be two years, Hubert thinks three... works for me, I can wait.