A/C recharge: 308 | FerrariChat

A/C recharge: 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spike308, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Can you use the small cans of A/C recharger from the local auto parts store in a 308QV???
    I figured I'd give it a shot, see if it holds. They cost $2.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Unless your car's been converted, it's running R-12. Joe Average can't buy the stuff any more, and it's pricy. Better doublecheck the stuff at the parts store to make sure it is compatible.

3. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Only if it's been converted to R134a. If not, you'll mix R-12 and R134 and screw up the whole system.

Go to the "other" board and look at the tech. articles. Their is a comprehensive article there on the 3x8 series A/C systems.

Really you need a vacuum to recharge the system. If the system does not have enough refigerant there is probably a leak which mean there is air in the system. All you'll do is compress the air already in the system and it will still not be efficient. The system needs to be put under vacuum to properly fill it.

Also, a product called Duracool is a replacement for R-12 but it's not legal in all states. It's $5/can. It's covered in that article I mentioned.

4. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    what is this other board

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    F %^ e 88 r r a r i - T ^&*& alk.com

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    134a IMO doesn't work well in these cars. Use a blend or real R12. R12 is around $30 per can where I live.

7. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    308GTS, where do you live so I can get some @ $30.00 per can.

8. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Hehe. I have a 'secret' bulk source that was originally purchased for under $5/lb.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Go here

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I wouldn´t argue in case of a GTB but why do you need A/C in a GTS?

I am driving cabrios since 12 years now and never needed the A/C. The only situation where it is useful (but not necessary) is if you have gotten some rain in your car in summer and want to remove the moisture pretty fast with roof closed.

Seems strange to me: You find a lot of dicussions in this forum about how to get some extra hp, but I never found the self-evident recommendation to remove the A/C. Well, this is what I did after my last engine-out service. The compressor now sits on the spare parts shelf in my cellar.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You must have never seen a Texas summer. Believe me, at a certain point you keep the top on to protect yourself from the sun. AC is a requirement down here.

12. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Valid point.

But I lived for some time in Brazil.

13. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Being from Texas originally, I can vouch for the fact that there are MANY days in the year that are too hot for a convertible top-down. Houston is known as the A/C Capitol of the World for a reason, you know!

And as for freeing up horsepower by removing the A/C (as the previous owner did to my car)... You might save 1/3 hp by not spinning that belt and idling pulley. Hardly enough to claim, yet so many people yank it off these cars "for more power". Why? It only takes power when it's turned on. Otherwise it's just dead weight, but so is your spare tire. You may only need 'em now & then, but when you do, you're glad you've got it!

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I just had a conversation with a well respected Ferrari mechanic who thought that the conversion for the 308 was worthless (I was asking him what it would cost me!).
    thouhts?

16. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

17. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Hey, hey, are you some kind of journalist :) Please quote me correctly:

OK, I will think twice about "but not necessary". I admit that you have a hard time de-fogging the windows in a small passenger compartment without A/C :)

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Originally I'd have preferred to stay with R12, at least for a few years. My advice is if it's got R12 in it & just needs topping off, then stay with R12. If you've got to tear the system apart to take care of a leak or other major problem, then seriously consdier converting to R134a or one of the other refrigerants.

However, the conversion actually worked well on my 308 GTS once I got the right amount of coolant in the car.

Unfortunately, early last summer something gave way & I got a refrigerant leak I haven't had time to troubleshoot. At that point the R134a started to look really good as the thought of loosing $150 or so worth of R12 made me really think about those whether or not last few degrees would have been worth it.

The right amount is pretty tricky, a few ounces too much or too little & the vent temp goes up 10 degrees! Too much also risks blowing a seal or hose as the pressure heads up very fast!

In MA, I mostly need humidity control, except for a few days of the year, so R134a more than does the job.

BTW, folklore has it that you can just about double the cooling capacity of the 308's sytem by pulling out those highly restrictive vents. I'm going to make them removeable when I get to fixing my A/C next month.

BTW, My Chevvy dealer converted my '91 Olds wagon 2 years ago & it's still blowing 52 degree air out of the vent on an 85 degree day.