365 Boxer for sale on ebay | FerrariChat

365 Boxer for sale on ebay

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PWehmer, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Too bad on the wing, car looks cool though.

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I find it hard to believe that the car, with only 7700 miles on it, required a total engine rebuilt..........even if it was a garage queen.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Looks pretty good except for the wing. What's up with putting 7700 miles on a car in 30 years, great forethought or absolute lunacy. that's around 250 miles a year, I know some garage queens that get more exercise than that. Given the wing I would say it's lunacy. Nice car though!!! One of my favorites!!!! Get ready to put some $$$ into it.

4. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    remember, it's not uncommon for boxers to have had their odometers disconnected.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    or broken! ...still.....it matches my 308. Hmmmmmmm.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    zero activity!!! just like the Chicago car.

People are pretty wary about these, for good reason. They are expensive to feed!

Reserve is too high if they really want to move it. Engine out was probably from disuse, maybe frozen up! LOL

Drive 'em, boys!

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He should have cleaned the interior a little, IMO.

8. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    minor carb tune, LOL - wonder what David (365 owner in NY) knows/thinks about this car. That wing is hideous but it is italian made - lol

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Gotti and wing need to go !!! and the headlight should be white not orange ..looks much meaner .

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, there was one that ran at Daytona, 512BB IIRC, that to hold it down they put HUGE front shovel spoiler and rear wing on it.

I have a model of the car. 1/24.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

There is a 365 GT4 BB or 2 , that ran Le Mans as well with the thomson livery ..with white cromodorras..Looks nice but its a race car .

EDIT : might be 512 as well..the 365 didnt have a wing .

12. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is that the original dash? I'm not suggesting it's not, but it looks really padded. Did they all come that way ? Agree with the rest of you. Whoever gets this needs to lose the wing and if it were me, I'd also lose the aftermarket stereo...

13. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    Interesting on the turn signal lens being orange.

ALL the 365 Boxers, and the first few hundred 512BB's, came with white turn signal lens. There were no exceptions.

Often when a "white lens" car has orange lens it means that accident damage has been repaired using then-current orange replacements. The white lens are very difficult/impossible to obtain today, while the orange are readily available.

Another explaination could be that the seller replaced the white with the orange for cosmetic purposes only.........

Also, look at the wear-shine on the accelerator pedal. Black is fully polished off on the edge. Pretty polished for 7,700 miles.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I agree about the Orange lens, it should be white. One was imported from Pozzi in France and the lens had to be changed to orange to comply with local regulations. The new owner wanted the dealer to pay for this change before he would accept delivery of his new red Boxer! Also the Ferrari appears to have a front air dam (spoiler) which I don't think early cars had... Anybody notice if the front side marker light is in the right location? It could be the lighting but I remember "fly yellow" as being a darker color than is represented here in the picture. Doesn't appear to have ugly USA modified "crash bumpers" either. Thanks!

15. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    It is my understanding that 365 Boxers were built with both orange and white turn signal lenses, with the regulations of the country of export being the deciding factor. Some countries would not permit white lenses. I am pretty certain that I have some contemporaneous "period" pictures in my book/magazine collection showing relatively new (at the time) cars with orange lenses.

16. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I think you are right

17. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    Steve

I would be interested to see those period photos of 365 BB's with orange lens. You own 18745, what does it have?

Lee

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Road & Track tested an early Boxer (74?) that was imported from the middle east. It ran much better once they got the sand out of the carbs! That Boxer was Fly Yellow with cloth cover seats. They did complain about the shift linkage hanging up but it was a Ferrari, that you couldn't buy...

19. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Lee,
    My Boxer, no. 18745 has orange lenses. From the documentation I have with the car, it appears to have been an Italian market car. I know of another 365 Boxer in the Chicago area, no. 18645 or 18685? which has white lenses. I do not know the original market for the other car though.

Steve

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That wing ruins a beautiful car

21. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Last night I got out the "Boxer Bible", the book "Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer" by Mel Nichols, copyright in the late 1970s. On the front dust jacket cover is a 365 Boxer in a rare dark green color with orange turn signal lenses. In the body of the book there are several more color pihotos, most of which show 365 Boxers with white lenses but there is also a photo of a white one with orange lenses. So it appears that white is the predominant color for the lenses, but that orange definitely was fitted on some cars.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    well, 2 bids it's moved $100! lol

23. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Steve and Lee,

I also believe the Boxer's lenses were determined by country of destination. Just like you have orange and white turn signal lenses for the Daytona. You're right, the Nichol's book does have a green and white 365gtbb with yellow lenses.

I don't have the part's book but I bet it would give the derivation of the colored lenses by country of destination.

The other thing I have noticed in the Nichols' book is on p. 65. It shows a red boxer, which the author calls a 365 with a BB512/lip spoiler. I always thought the picture was incorrectly labled. The rear tires look a little wider, but its hard to tell; maybe not. I always believed only the 512 series had the lip spoiler.

Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara

24. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    Drew,
    I am pretty sure that the photo of the red Boxer in the Nichols book is mislabelled. It appears to be a 512 BB to my eyes. I am sure that no 365 Boxers came from the factory with the "chin lip" spoiler in the front valance. However, many 365 Boxer owners installed 512 front valances and the wider 9" rear wheels in order to "update their cars. In fact, my car had a 512 front valance and the wider 9" rear wheels on it when I purchased it. Of course, being the purist that I am, I put it back into its original form.

Steve