348 noises: whistling while driving? | FerrariChat

348 noises: whistling while driving?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348SStb, Jun 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Since I bought my 348 Coupe a few months ago (10K miles at the time), I've noticed plenty of noises, creaks, etc. Hey, older Ferraris are special cars, and they make special noises; no big deal.

But I just wanted to ask about this whistling that I hear while driving. It seems to be coming from the engine area. The whistling seems to get louder as the RPMS increase; and it gets softer as the car slows down in gear.

Does anyone else experience this? Any ideas what this could be?

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I don't have a 348 but about every 5 years my 328 makes chirping sounds. Just last weekend I fixed it again. A 328 has two check valves that let filtered air enter the exhaust via scavenging during warmup so the cat gets extra oxygen so it heats faster. The rear one corrodes out about every 5 years and results in a chirping sound. The check valves are standard GM parts. The last one I bought cost $11+ at Advance Auto.

But like I said, I am not familiar with a 348 so this might not apply.

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My 328 had whistling, related to engine RPM--cured in the 30k service. It was a belt (not sure which one) that was actually rubbing up against a water/coolant pipe (the one that runs vertically from the Water Pump area up towards the top).

Sounded like it was turboed!

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Has to be belt noise.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

But the belts were just replaced in March! Full engine out service performed by Ferrari of Long Island...

How could it be a belt? :-(

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy

Does it sound like a wolf whistle? Notice any groups of young women around when it starts? lol

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

unfortunately the car attracts more men than women

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Easy! There is play, at least in the 328, in this whole area, and things have to be wiggled, adjusted, etc. as a system or else you can get the belt rubbing up against something. I don't know any details, except for that it was happening on my car.

--Mike

9. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Specifically:

"Water tube rubbing on alternator pulley & tank strap."

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy

Then make sure you don't wear any short-shorts or cute tops. ;) lol

11. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Air leak - does the engine run okay?

12. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I had a similar sound from my 328 turned out it was the water pump on the way out.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    To eliminate the accessory belt possibility, remove the belts one at a time and see if the whistle goes away. Running it for a very short time with no belts won't hurt anything. If the whistle disappears upon removal of a belt, you've found the source of the noise. Simple and effective.

14. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The water pump was, of course, replaced during the engine-out service.

Yes, the engine has been running absolutely fine. I haven't had a single issue with any functioning of the car.

I'll tell ya--the noise doesn't sound like anything rubbing. Hmm, how can I describe? It sounds like... you know when a TV channel is doing a test, and there are all those weird colors on the screen, and there's that strange high-pitched noise that is constant and very annoying? Well, that's what it sounds like... maybe someone knows what I mean.

I know if I take the car to the dealer, they'll drive the car and say "We didn't hear any noise." That always happens!

still not sure what to think...

15. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I noticed a similar whistle but it sounds more like wind noise coming over the roof

16. joseph

joseph Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    The noise maybe comming from your side air intake,mine does it all the time
    the intake hose some how gets loose and makes whistle noise I accelerate.
    check hose if its loose.

17. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    My old 308 had the same problem and my mechanic initially surmised that it was probably coming from a test valve. Never did get beyond that as I sold it shortly afterwards.