flat screen computer monitors - good, bad, ugly? | FerrariChat

flat screen computer monitors - good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Crawford, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Are those of you that have the LCD screens happy with them? I'm debating on one for my desk, but they're pretty pricey...

2. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I wouldn't do without one, now that I've switched. I don't know what you consider pricey; a good quality 15" should run about $300.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    couldn't EVER go back to a tube.

no-brainer. go for it.

doody.

4. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I just bought a 19" Samsung that has a built in TV tuner. Since I had to sell my 42" TV, I bought this and hung it up on my wall. Now, I can surf Ferari Chat while watching the boob tube. Will get a pic up in a day or two.

At work we have a 17" that works great as well. The quality is so much higher then the crap prjection 19" I use on my desk.

BTW--I spent about $800 on my tv/monitor.

5. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I HIGHLY recommend the Samsung SyncMaster 213T LCD monitor. 21.3" monitor

I use them for my work. clear...sharp.....bright....and most of all...they look fantastic!

6. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a 17" LG1710B. It's fantastic, I won't be going back to a CRT if I can avoid it.

7. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Go LCD!! No doubt!! :) I'm VERY happy w/mine!!

8. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have had a Dell monitor/tv for about one month now. The picture is far superior to my previous CRT. Nice to be able to watch Tiger while doing something else. Makes multitasking much easier.

I write a lot in my home office with a western exposure. Great to not have that CRT pumping out the heat.

Doubt that I will ever go back to the huge style monitors that I lived with so long.

I'm watching the Reagan coverage on the monitor now and getting some work done. Get to do two things at once.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    here's my take on LCD's...

Pros- definately kick ass if there's a built in tv tuner option. but not all have a high number of channel capability. the heat in this room is much lower and I do not require a fan or two to keep the temps down. this alone drops my electricity bill down a good 10-20 a month.

Cons - games. you are set to a fixed resolution and some games just aren't going to work because of how they are setup. art - nothing really beats a 21" trinitron flat screen monitor (non-LCD, just ultra flat tube) in terms of resolution and color quality for a mid-priced monitor. of course, high end monitors cost about twice as much if not more, but for doing digital photos and things of the like, an LCD *can* kick you in the butt when it comes to color corrections and definition within the picture itself.

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

I've got an NEC 19.1" monitor at home, that I've had for the last couple of years We got new comuters at the office, and I've got the 17" Dell there. The 19.1" is a much better screen. Don't have a flat screen TV at home though.

Art

11. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Can you get a split screen or PIP with the monitor/tuners??

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've noticed much less eye strain using flat screens. I have 2 Dell 19" side by side to double the desktop and I'm far more productive.....(keeping fchat on one)

13. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Go flat screen. I have a couple of Dells and a Sony. I would never go back to working on the old boxes.

14. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    My Dell monitor/tv has PIP. You can chose between a small tv picture, medium and large. You can also toggle it so that it's all tv screen. I also have an aux input for the camera at the front and back doors.

15. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    OK - I'm convinced. I just bought a Samsung Sychmaster 712N ; thank you BEST BUY... $527 out the door with a 3 year service plan.

I didn't get a monitor w/ TV tuner because I figured I could always look 4 feet to my right to see my JVC 19" TV. Yes, I am an athlete.

Seems pretty nice. I'll have to test drive it for a few days.

16. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    23" Macintosh Cinema HD Display.

Costs $2000. Looks awesome and has tons of real estate for multiple windows, etc...

17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I went with the ViewSonic VG750 @ 17.5" last year, and the ATI All-in-Wonder card for TV - works good. TV quality's average, but that's not really the point. Good enough for F1 though. I've seen some hideous early LCD screens though - be careful buying used! go cheap if you have to on the computer but buy the best monitor you can afford.

Games are ok - 1280x1024 fixed is good enough for most games, just need the cpu and video card to drive it.

I can't work on my wife's old 17" monitor anymore.

18. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Good thinking all around.

19. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I have had LCD monitors on my personal computers I guess for 5 years now. I would never go back to CRT. You get much more size for your money with CRT but you also get all that bulk.

The good, the bad and the ugly?
    Good: size of screen, clarity, general sleek look, the fact that in an over 19 inch LCD, such as the Viewsonic VG191b, the screen actually rotates, so that, when rotated 90 degrees, a full MS Word document page is viewable at once.
    Bad and ugly: price viz a viz CRT, the fact that they have a limited life and picture quality gets worse over time, pain in the butt to keep clean - always smudging, and I don't want to wipe them and scratch them (I have the same issue with laptop screens)

20. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I have a 22" NEC Multisync 1250+ CRT sitting in front of me. Sure it's big, sure I have a lot of real estate.. BUT IT'S DEEPER THEN MY RIMS! Good lord, if I could spend those 700$ over again, I would certainly get a thin screen, LCD, Plasma, whatever. Something that isn't some two feet and then some deep. I have to cock my head to the side whenever I do anything because my desk isn't that deep! :(