Valve Cleaner Recomendations | FerrariChat

Valve Cleaner Recomendations

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chris Mead, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chris Mead

Chris Mead Rookie

Jun 9, 2004
    Any recomendations for a fuel additive valve cleaner? I have used Lubro Molly every 3K in the past but I am having a tough time finding it.

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have heard good things about Chevron Techron engine cleaner for fuel injectors and valves. I'm trying some right now. Hard to know if it's doing anything though!

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It would seem advisable to avoid most additives, unless you have a specifc problem you are trying to address.

4. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Redline fuel system cleaner is great. It treats 100 gallons (it's marked in increments) or you can use a bottle in one tank if you need a real cleanup...Patrick

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    We have a very highly regarded place here in MA that works on classic Ferraris as well as many other expensive cars. One of the guys there advised me that Techron is one of the only "snake oils" (his words) that actually works as advertised. It was based on his advice that I tried some to clean my carbs a bit. The back of the bottle also claims that it cleans valves, heads and pistons. ANyway, from the many people I have asked, it will do no harm.

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Most of the cleaners work quite well. They also clean the crap out of the fuel tanks and deposit it down stream. In the next day or so I will post pictures of what some of these additives can do to various FI parts. I am still researching what additives were used to create the problems I have found on the 550 I am currently servicing. This is going to become a enormous problem! Could someone PM me that can help with posting pictures?
    Dave

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Careful with additives. They can clog your cat. If you live in a smog test area, that could be expensive.