New low in Ferrari merchandise... | FerrariChat

New low in Ferrari merchandise...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferrariartist, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    i quote (from the FerrariShop email i just received):
    The latest arrival at Ferrari is a fabulous Challenge Stradale surfboard. The board is dedicated exclusively to those who want to ride the waves in the Prancing Horse colours and is suitable for beginners and experts alike."
    unquote.

They have GOT to be kidding... who would BUY this?
    I can't imagine struting on some surfing beach with a dozen or so other "surfer-dudes" staring at me carrying this thing... No idea how much it costs but you couldnt pay me to do that...

I'm scared to see what there will be in a couple years - or a decade for that matter - if this is where we are now...

There outta be a law...

GT

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yeah, that's pretty bad. And I thought the laptop and cologne was a stretch.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    haha, I think it looks awesome, but, as you say, I don't know how well you would fit in with the surfer dudes rolling up with one of these

4. Oblio

Oblio Karting

May 9, 2004
    Puget Sound, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd R
    The Stradale Surfer. Is this another $15k option for when you purchase a Stradale?

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    This is getting ALMOST as bad as all the crap Harley Davidson sells.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

"That's so righteous dude!!!"

Some idiot in Maranello probably thought since CA represents such a large market that this would really appeal to us/them.

"Who's the shaper man and is it a tri-fin???........"

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Oh geeze, who makes the board? Looks like a lame design if you ask me. They could have at least chosen a great board maker offering a more proper sport board. Looks like an old fart long board good for making an end table or as a display piece.

But hey, the bean counters keep it rolling, rolling, rolling. i am waiting for Ferrari tampons and feminine napkins. Close enough to Ferrari red... (and yes, this is EXACTLY the mental image i am shooting for here)

Let's face it guys and gals, the Ferrari of the past is long gone to the current FIAT business interests. We all need to change our license plates or gather together with new bumper stickers:

WWED

(What Would Enzo Do)

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Well there are rumors about Ferrari bottled water and beverages.

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari needs to make some cash.... I guess.

Ferrari Dog like its! :) He's got all the ferrari propaganda.

10. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I am assuming the Ferrari toilet bowl brush is a joke, right?
    If not, does it work faster than the others or something?
    Do people really buy all this crap I see for sale?
    Gary

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Luca and the management are fools, no longer will Ferrari be exclusive.This is the total opposite of Enzo philosophy and ideals for his company he spent so many years building his name Ferrari, these bumbling corporate idiots will destroy the name in 10 years.

Looks like they are just selling licenses for the name, much like NFL or other brand crap, so a cheap toolmaker that has a socket set that is made in China and falls apart buys a license for $30k and sells his junk as Ferrari.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They are undoing the brilliant marketing Enzo built over such a long time. Idiots!.

It will not be long before Ferrari is just an option badge on some sh!tmobile ... I promise you that.

Pete

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Well at least we have Volkswamborghini....:D

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    And with every new Ferrari car/product YOU buy it is YOU who are voting with your dollars by approving such things. Think about it...

15. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Marketing? Enzo cared more about racing than marketing. And the world of cars was much simpler then. Selling licenses is found money, and they would be foolish to not leverage their brand equity. No one is going to assume a branded doodad represents the quality of Ferrari cars, since most companies do this. Calling Luca M. an idiot is just not justified; He probably saved Ferrari.

16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Bwahahaha......Heck, I went to buy a Ferrari Tshirt at the local dealer last week and thought the price was too silly to justify and got an el cheapo Maser Tshirt instead. My guess is that a few of the people here, including myself, could care less about spending cubic $ on all that licensed "branded" junk that has nothing to do with the cars.

Where the heck is Carby on this??? I would expect him to have at least two surfboards already on order. :D

17. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Just goes to prove no one reads the modern section, this has been on there for a while

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

Or at least 1/16ths! :D

--Dan

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari is going way to far with this type of stuff. In fact they are going much further then a normal car company. Do you see GM surf boards, or Ford computers, or Chrysler driving shoes? I don't. Clothing, hats, ball caps, and models, are all good marketing items. But going with a surf board, and computers and other stuff is just plain silly. I really hope they see what they are doing to the name Ferrari because if this continues, I may have to sell and fine somthing more exlcusive, like maybe Lotus...or?

20. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    This is really forward. Enough with the red painted crap!!!
    Out Ferrari, in Pagani!!! All engineering ... uh ... except for the engine :D

21. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sure, there are a TON of branded products for: Porsche, Corvette, Mustang to name a few. Each of these companies have equity management companies that do nothing but license out their trademarks. For example, you can buy anthing from Corvette ear-rings, to Corvette vaccuum cleaners.

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I saw Stradale butane lighters at the local gas station.

23. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Ok I am gettiing pretty sick of this thread. Lets start with the ferrari tools that many of you seem to be complaining about. The official ferrari tools are made by Facom. Facom is number one in europe for professional tools and a leading world-class manufacturer. They are not just any old China made tools. I have my set and anyone that say they are worthless has never used them.

Most of Ferrari's money comes from their licensed prodtcs like accesories and apparel. if it were not for this market for licensed products ferrari would be in deep trouble.

No one seems to complain when Ferrari subsidizes the cars so that they cab sold cheaper. No one seems to complain when Luca and the rest of the management pour in large sums of money so that the F1 team can survive.

Everyone says oh it is against the ideals of the great Enzo. Yes, Enzo left this whole company in deep financial crap. So I hope you are not implying that Enzo's legacy was to leave the company in financial crap. Luca and his management have had to come up with innovative ways of funding the huge media campaigns, the F1 team, and keep the company afloat.

What would you rather prefer... no more licensed products or no more Ferrari? Now dont jump on this one line to flame me. Luca and his management have come up wth a good business concept around the Ferrari brand name. If you do not want to buy the computer, tools, tshirt or "surf board"... don't buy it no one is forcing you to. To a person that cannot shell out $175k plus for a '04 360 Modena like some of us and still wants to enjoy a little bit of the magic wearing a red ferrari polo to the sports bar to watch the F1 race with his buddies will sufice.

If you really think Luca and his management are ruining and destroying the company it would not really be the most profitable in years. I know you can make a profit at the cost of image. But trust me I dont think you complain about their image when they launched the 612 or the Enzo, and I certainly don't think that you complaned about their image when they pour in so much money so that Scuderia Ferrari can win F1 titles for four years in a row.

24. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Agree!

Steve, I'm pretty sure had this been viable at the time Enzo would have been all for this. WWED? Any damn thing he needed to in order to keep racing.

25. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes, to keep FERRARI racing but NOT TO KEEP FIAT afloat.