308 flywheel | FerrariChat

308 flywheel

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ria, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i try to take the flywheel bolts of to replase the pilot bearing i can NOT brake the bolts loose on the flywheel . i use a torque wrench nothing. i was thinking to grind the lip of to the same size as the bearing then i know it will come off i do NOT want to do this in this way. any proceger on how to do this. maybe their is lock tight on this bolts any info on this???? thanks.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I use an impact wrench and they come right out. For re-torquing made a small aluminum block the engages about 6 teeth on the flywheel and locks it to the bell housing.

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Also you can remove the starter and insert a prybar or large screwdriver to engage a tooth and brace against the bell housing --- be careful, if it slips, you can break a tooth on the flywheel. Best to have 2 people for this --- one on the prybar, one on the flywheel bolts.

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Try to borrow a flywheel locking clamp. broken teeth are a real drag.
    Do not use a torque wrench, use an air impact or a breaker bar, (with possibly a cheater if you lack the air power.
    Use a shallow 6 point socket, (not 12 point or worse a deep 12 point) to wrench on the nuts - less likely hood of stripping the heads.

sounds like fun, wish i were doing a rebuild on the 308, (and I had a fairy god mother to buy really hot rebuild parts).

regards, chris

5. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    When replacing the flywheel, always, always use blue Loctite on the bolts. Clean the bolt holes and the bolts before applying the stuff. I got to see pictures of a 308 GT/4 who's flywheel came loose...

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You don't need to remove the flywheel to replace the spigot bearing, by the way!

Just use a readily available expanding collet slide hammer attachment, or you can hydraulic it out with grease and a bit of bar to fit the 15mm spigot hole.....

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    the bearing will not com out the big warcher that the bolts go to hold the flywheel in plase there is a lip if the lip was the same size as the bearing then the bearing will come right out . i will try to hold the crank big bolt on the other side to try to get the bolts to come out on flywheel.

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I thought the flywheel had to be removed on a 308 to get the pilot bearing out. Anyone clarify?

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    ria is correct ---

On the 308 2-valves, the gang washer has too small of an ID to allow the bearing to pass through. Plus, if you are going to the trouble of replacing the pilot bearing (assuming a clutch job is going on here) you should treat yourself to re-surfaced flywheel as well.

I don't know if I would hold the crank bolt --- this will put a helluva lot of torque on the crankshaft --- probably okay, but a broken crank shaft would certainly break my heart. Lots of things will work at the flywheel side --- stuffing rags, wooden blocks, etc. between the teeth and a boss inside the bell housing.

Also, don't foget about the obvious --- try heating the bolts with a propane torch to break the corrosion / loctite in the threads. Factory spec torque on the flywheel bolts is only about 60 ft-lbs --- shouldn't be too hard to crack once the heat breaks the bond between threads.

10. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    OK the mistake i made was i use a long exta with the torque wrench this time i did NOT i was only 2 inch from the bolts thay come right of. i want to THANK all of you for the info. now i will take the flywheel to the shop.

11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Torque wrenches should only be used to tighten nuts - not remove them. An electric or air impact wrench is what you should be using...

-Wayne

12. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    wayne i used a air impact wrench.

13. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay - you did say "torque" wrench in all of your posts...

:)

-Wayne