308 QV Temp? | FerrariChat

308 QV Temp?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mar308, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mar308

mar308 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    I cant seem to get the right info, as far as water temp goes.
    Is it normal for this car to run at 195 deg. at 70 mph with fans
    runing continuous, with air temp at 85 deg. At stop up to 205.
    Beow 60 deg. air temp, fans come on and off. New rad, new
    thermostat, new fan switch. Guy that did the work said QV's
    do run a little hot. Any help would be appreciated.

Mario

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    195 is normal. My car when driving runs cooler than 195 but sitting still in traffic goes up to 195 sometimes slightly over.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Start worrying when it gets to 3/4s.

3. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hey Mar308,
    Is all of the air bled out?
    How is the foam weatherstrip on the underside of the hood?? I recall reading in an old post that the foam helps "seal up the uper vents, making the air flow over the radiator more eficient. Mine is toast, but I live in a cool climate, so I haven't gone to the hardware store yet.

HTH,
    chris

P.s. where did you get your thermostat and how much was it???
    thanks, chris

4. mar308

mar308 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    Yes all air is out, maybe my fans are runing slow. In regards
    to thermostat I am sorry dont have bill with me here now.
    Will look tomorrow...

Mario

5. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    Fans running all the time on freeway not normal. The needle should point straight down or slightly to the left . Did you get a new radiator or a recored radiator ? If it was recored did they install a xl heavy duty core with more tubes per inch ?

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    It depends. If he is running a 180 deg. Thermal Switch then even on the highway they would come on. It would be helpful to know exactly what he has and doesn't.
    There are only so many components in a cooling system. Like I said start worrying when you reach the 3/4 mark. The rest is bs.
    Better yet take it to the dealer. They are the only ones with the magic wand who can wave it correctly to cure your cooling ills.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed. The 85 QV here RARELY gets above 1/2 way for oil or water... even in +80F heat in city driving. During yesterday's stop and go it got "hot" at 1/2 way and that was about it. That is the highest i usually ever see it as she seems to hang around 3/7th most of the time after thoroughly operating.

8. mar308

mar308 Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    Yea rad was a re-core. mmm i wonder if the rad shop did the
    right thing. Does anyone know who sells a good aftermarket
    rad?? The one that was taken out was pretty cloged. I would
    think it would have solved the problem. You know, if i flip my
    heater control valve on, the temp comes down.. Anyone hear
    of Ron Davis racing? Think he might have the right replacement..
    Thanks Guys, worried on long island..

Mario

9. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    My car is not a QV, but I had a similar problem. I replaced the sending unit to the gauge and it lowered the temperature by 10-15 degrees, but it was still running a little hot. I took out the gauge and cleaned the contacts and it solved the problem for about a week and then it returned, If I thump the gauge when it spikes it returns to regular running temperature. I will likely send the gauge off to Palo Alto to have it refurbished.

I hope this helps.

Terry

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Three things to check. 1st, check the wiring and connections from the fuse box to the fan relay and fans . A poor conection can make the fans run too slow. 2nd, have the alternator output checked. If the alternator is not putting out enough current, the fans will turn too slow. And. 3rd, check to be sure the radiator shop properly sealed the baffle in the radiator. Since the radiator in the 308, as in most mid engined cars,is a "cross-flow double pass" type radiator, if the baffle is not properly sealed inside the radiator tank it will allow some hot water from the engine to go down the tank back to the engine without passing through the radiator first. How do I know you ask? On my Boxer I had both a perforated radiator baffle and a bad alternator that was causing my Boxer to get up to 100c in traffic. Once the baffle and alternator were repaired, the water temp barely gets up to 90c even in 88f Atlanta stop and go traffic .

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  12. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name: