What do you think of the MASERATI CambioCorsa ? | FerrariChat

What do you think of the MASERATI CambioCorsa ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gary308gtb, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    We all love Ferraris, the newer Maserati Models have similar engines with Ferraris. Is it correct to say that Maserati engines are built by Ferrari ?

Anyway, I checked over this 2003 Maserati CambioCorsa (Coupe) in a showroom, in pictures it really isn't a looker, but in the flesh, especially in Metallic Dark Blue, it looks really stunning.

Once I sat in the drivers seat, I was so impressed with the luxurious interiors (leather maroon). And the 2 rear seats were quite spacious for a sports car with adequate leg room. I honestly think its interiors are elegant. Compared to the interiors of the new 612 Ferrari it is definitely much better. The new 612 and Enzo are designed to have functional and light weight materials to save on weight.

Being Ferrari loyalists, what is your honest opinion on the Maserati Cambio Corsa Coupe ? Is it a good buy ? I car to keep long term ? Or is it better to buy an older model Ferrari with a similar price range ?

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Before ordering my 2004 Spyder I also debated about getting an older Ferrari Spider for the same kind of money, In the end decided I wanted a car that would cost me nothing maintenance wise for the next 4 years and would come with all the new electronic gadgets. After driving the car for 2 months I know I made the right choice. I do not think I could possibly have any more fun than I am with this car. Also get the tubi and you will have a car that sounds better than many Ferrari's. Now lets see how quickly this thread gets moved

3. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    That's nice to hear Scott that you're enjoying your Spyder a lot. I guess it's always wiser to get a newer model (sports car) over an older one. Did you get more horsepower by adding the tubi ?

4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Not sure of HP gain, I have read where Tubi has given some car 10-15% gains but have not found anything about Maserati. Did no get it for the gains anyway if I do get some, is just a bonus. The minute the dealer started up a Maserati with a tubi on it I knew I wanted it especially after driving my M3 for two years and hating the sound, and that was even with trying two After-market exhausts. Brad said that he was going to install Tubi and then dyno and he has previously posted Dyno results so should find out once and for all if you do get any gain.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had my 03 coupe for about a year, and I switch between it and a Porsche Cayenne TT as my daily driver. I think it is a great car, and I would say to anyone that is looking for both luxury and power, it is the car to have. I really can not think of any other car in its price range that I would want. I think the paddles work better in the Maser than in my 01 360 but that is something I'm sure not everyone will agree with. I put GHL sraight pipes on my car, had those big cans taken off and there is a difference you can both feel and hear.

6. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I ordered the Tubi yesterday and will call to schedule some time on my local shop's dyno.

I just had the Maser updated at the dealer and it appears to have affected the engine's characteristics, so I'm going to do another baseline dyno run before changing anything else. Then we'll install the Tubi, drive the car around a bit (in case the engine management system needs to 'learn'), and do another dyno run.

Last dyno run showed 335 RWHP and 300 RWTQ -- we'll see if the Tubi improves on that. Update soon, I hope!

[EDIT: Just talked to the speed shop and reserved the dyno for Monday afternoon, June 21st.]

7. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    The car is just plain boring, not up to previous Maserati standards. I think my 85 Biturbo had more appeal.

8. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How much are you guys paying for the maserati out the door?

9. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I believe the Maserati is a classic beauty!

Congrats and looking foward to what the tubi can add to an already impressive car

10. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I shared your opinion until I drove one, Rayman. Now I'm so glad that I became an owner. The car is fun to drive, is rarer than an F-car, and draws comments everywhere it goes.

It's not easily explained, but the Spyders and Coupes strike a chord of excitement in the general public. This reaction occurs before the car is identified as a Maserati.

11. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Do you guys think the chrome calipers on the vintage package would be prone to rust. I know my brother had issues with his mb's chrome wheels. now using a ps21 chrome cleaner as it gentle on the metal surfaces.
    curious since these will probably get pretty hot.

Also, has anyone considered the optional blue instrument panel. It looks pretty cool in the brochure. I like it, but I think it may look out of place on a black interior. The one i drove had the standard black and white panel.
    I dont know what color it is at night with the lights on though.

12. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    The calipers are actually painted an aluminum color. they will not rust.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Love the maserati coupe, spider not so much...but the coupe with the tubi is such a nice daily driver, but why get the CC? get the stick, less trouble, more involving..just too bad that they will be replacing the car so soon, then you'll have an "old one". Might as well go preowned, they depreciate like crazy anyway;)

14. Magicman

Magicman Rookie

Jun 30, 2004
    Singapore
    I just bought a 4200. Had it for a week. Now it seems that I am reading that they will be replacing. Is it true> Where can I get more information. Depress. Love the car but to think that its going to be a "old" model so soon , its just depressing. What a car. Love it to death.

15. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    My impression, too. Somehow I think it wasn´t a good idea to shorten the wheelbase compared to the coupe by such an extent. The spyder is still a very nice car, but compared to the coupe it looks a little clumsy ...

16. FLNavi85

FLNavi85 Rookie

Jun 24, 2004
    Yeah, we used to have a Jaguar XKR, and then my Dad was lookin for a replacement, and I brought him to Wide World of Cars, he saw the car, took a test drive and fell in love... He uses it as a daily driver, (about 60 miles a day) and its been great so far... Great car 2 drive 2 (when i get the chance)

17. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I just bought a 2004 coupe with the vintage package nero finish, and it is really alot of fun to drive.

I originally planned on purchasing a 98 or 99 355 this year, but decided to get the maserati instead to replace a jaguar lease. Then some time in the next year or two look into either a 355 spider or a 460 if I can get on a list. The Ferrari would be a 2nd car while the maserati would be daiily.

So far ive only driven the car for a few days and i'm extremely happy with it.

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #18 wax, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cambiocorsa Coupe may lay in the horizon for me in a year+, as I am quite enamored by it. Each I've seen in person had a multitude of spokes on wheels - which don't flatter this coupe when at rest, IMHO. I think it looks best with less - say, 7 or less.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ebrigham

ebrigham Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Wax - I agree, though I do like the design of the Gransport rims. BTW - 2004s now come with the 7-spoke as standard equipment, as opposed to the 15-spoke in previous years.

20. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Actually, the 7 spoke wheels became standard in 2003. The 15 spoke design is available at no cost on the 2003's and 2004's.

21. Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R Karting

May 16, 2004
    Any news on this?

22. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Funny, im really not a fan of those gearboxes. In Ferrari's and Lamborghini's i would most definitely choose the traditional manual transmission. Though in the Maserati for some reason after driving one i would prefer the Cambiocorsa over the traditional. It just seems right in the sporty Maserati.

-Douglas

23. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    It appears the Tubi added about 7 RWHP.

Before installing the Tubi, we dynoed the car on the same unit used last fall. This time around (again, pre-Tubi), the HP curve was different than what we saw last fall. Overall, the car produced significantly lower HP than last fall's run on the same dyno (333 RWHP last fall, 316 RWHP on this run).

I believe the change was due to the software updates applied at the dealer. While I've heard others complain about a loss of power after having the latest updates applied, the dealer had not heard of any problems.

Anyway, after installing the Tubi we picked up about 7 RWHP and a GREAT new sound!

24. Iggy_Type_R

Iggy_Type_R Karting

May 16, 2004
    I know it's got great sound!! :)

Reason I am asking is I am trying to figure out how much my new Massa is putting out.

It has a Tubi and PowerChip (which alone claim 307kW at 98+ fuel) ... so if the exhaust adds a bit more... like 3-5kW more on top, that means this little black beast is getting to 310+kW (420? BHP)

I am picking it up in 3 weeks time. :D

25. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Brad,

How do you like the tubi for everyday driving. Is it too loud at lower rpm?

Im waiting for the dealer to install one on a coupe so I can hear/test drive it.

I did hear one at the service center but it didnt sound as I expected. very loud and I felt I had to yell over it. Could have a tubi and some other modification.

I thought I recalled discussion about tubi setups on ferraris where you can reduce the noise level up until a certain rpm, then it opens up or bypass.. something like that? sorry Im new to all this.