Can exotics and amateur racing substitute for golf? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Can exotics and amateur racing substitute for golf?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ryalex, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I got the same advice from my dad, to learn golf as it will help in business. I do agree with previous posters, however. Don't be so good as to embarass you playing partners, don't be so bad as to embarass yourself. I think golf is popular because basically anyone can play. One of the best players I know is is over 60 years old and weighs over 400 pounds. He could kick my butt every time.

I personally hate golf: it is slow, expensive, time-consuming, and really sucks if the weather is too hot or too cold. I guess I do not have the patience for it nor any talent whatsoever.

I play infrequently as needed. Both my dad and father-in-law play all of the time. Some of the biggest deals that my dad negotiated were on the golf course.

2. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Touring pros that hit 300 yard avg. drives also tend to have very low fairway percentages... Ex. guys like Tiger and Phil Michelson hit the fairway around 59% of the time... Driving long distances like that is not necessarily good, because a 1 degree difference in club face can mean the difference between hitting a fairway or hitting it into the woods...

Very few people can reach the greens on two shots on a par 5 550 yard hole ... it's not terribly relevant to hit long drives to score well...

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Always keep your head down and eyes on the ball don't move your head until the ball is gone. Follow this and your clubs will last longer.

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    That's a fallacy...You're actually supposed to keep your head up with good posture with your head tilted to the right a little... Keeping your head down disrupts the windup when you turn your hips,,, your left shoulder (if you're a rightie) ends up hitting your chin....

5. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Golf?

*starts fishing in the ponds*

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The term 'Head down' is simply used to emphasis that you should keep your eye on the ball, and not moving around during the swing. Probably not the best way of ensuring your head is still but a commonly used expression ...

Pete

7. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    I don't know much about racing cars (actually, I've never done it!), but come from a family of golfers. My stepfather arranged golf lessons for me starting at age 11 so I could gamble with him. He hustles for money still. We both hustled together until I was thru college. Our handicaps were single digit thru Norcal (Northern California Golf Assoc) and padded at that in the 70s and early 80s. I have played in countless corp events over the years.

Tiger Ace is right-alot of corps use golf tournements for various reasons and it is good to know how to play. What is really important, though, is how you behave. It is amazing how many people act like infants or choke for small amounts of money and cheat even when no money is involved. I agree you can size someone up very well under pressure on a golf course, even for stakes as low as drinks or lunch, much less hundreds or thousands of dollars. I don't know of any sport that lends itself to that any better (although we used to bet on catching trout, too. This is also a pretty good test).

With respect to driving distance, many pros can move the ball over 300, but choose not to, because of the accuracy problems. When I was on the high school team, I was lucky to drive over 255, but I scored well and rarely missed fairways. If it was a money game, I might use a 3 wood for 235-240 to stay in play. Since I started weight lifting, I have gained 50 # and I can hit a ball much farther, up to 300+, but I score awful from all over the place. If you want to score, accuracy matters unless you have so much power that you gain more from hitting a wedge from the rough than a 5 iron from the middle, as John Daly advocates. Pros may have stats with distances of 275, but much of the time they may not be using their drivers.

I have 2 small kids now and don't play anymore, maybe once each year, so I just whale at it for the long drive contests many of these tournements have, but it is not a way to the lowest score. When I was young, golf was cheap and uncrowded. It's hard for me to take a whole day now to get out, so I don't much.

The main thing is to have fun and roll with what happens. It took me years to figure that out and stop throwing tantrums and clubs like I did as a dumb kid. When you do it right, it's like meditation. It can clear your mind almost as much as a trout stream.

steve

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Many corporate events are still based on or around a day of golf. But I think these events are really for developing a good relationship and nothing more. I have seen many other companies get fairly creative and have soccer picnics or bowling events instead. I have never heard of anyone not getting a job because they did not know how to play golf. I would much rather play golf with my buddies instead of dragging all the employees out for something they won't enjoy.

9. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    if you plan on socializing with the powerful and wealthy....take up golf. it's a fun game to learn. if you like self improvement, you will like golf.

most people think golf sucks. i had that attitude too when i never picked up a club before. but the first time i went to the driving range, it was all over. golf was my next addiction. get with the game....it's definitely a game that you and your buddies will love. the best part is the socializing when golfing on the greens.

10. AK79

AK79 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    AK
    Great thread! FWIW, I am in a very similar dilema; I hear golf is quite a benefical sport to play, yet my pure thrill and enjoyment from motorsports cannot be denied.

As a complete novice (READ: golfing experience limited to putt-putt), what are some relativley inexpensive ways to get started?

Cheers,

AK

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm also trying to do this 'on the cheap.' I bought a Wilson glove for $10 and driver that was on clearance for $25 at the golf store. Walmart had plenty of cheap clubs too (under $30). My local driving range is like $6 for 100+ balls.

Going to check out a few books on the library instead of buying, and practice on my own.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No, no, no, no, no,no. It's a FACT of golf: The more $$ the equipment...the better you are!!

DL

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL. Some say this about cars and driving ability too :).

I'm going to beat up my Hyundai golf clubs until I know enough to step up to Ferrari clubs.

14. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    If you can get off the tee 200 yards and in the fairway you can score well.
    If you can hit it 240 to 260 and straight you are golden.

Here is a tip. Spend more time practicing your pitching, chipping and putting than you do driving.

I can't tell you how many golfers I have seen get within 50 yards of the green in 2 and still make 8.
    Your short game is where you make the difference between a duffer that shoots 105 and a golfer that breaks 90.

Second tip. Throw the driver in the trash and use your 3 wood. You will have better control and that is more important than distance.

I learned to play when I was 12. By age 14 I was shooting in the mid 90's.
    A good drive for me was 190 yards. But I was real good around the greens. It used to drive my Dad's friends nuts when I would beat them by 5 or 10 shots. They out drove me by a ton but I was straight.

I got down to a 9 handicap in college. I haven't played but a few times since then (20+ yrs). Now I am lucky to shoot 95.
    Engineering is one profession where golf is not a big part of corporate culture.

Erich