Boxer or Testarossa - 911 Gonna Need a Roommate | FerrariChat

Boxer or Testarossa - 911 Gonna Need a Roommate

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Robb, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Hey there,

This is my first post, but I am excited to be here and enjoy the wealth of info from you all. I currently drive a classic 80's 911 with some good mods and look to add a roommate for it in the garage with an 80's Boxer or TR. I am not ready to pull the trigger quite yet but would like to know your thoughts on the plusses and minuses for and against each in this comparison.

I love each model for different reasons and think I would have a great time with either. I am leaning toward the Boxer for its classic lines and I am very fond of a model of one I built as a kid. Love those 80's. Just worried that they will be scarce, have more quirks, and be harder to find the right car for me. Never ridden in either to compare and would love to shoot some cars in the Colorado club to get closer to the marque. (I'm a photographer.)

Also, how would you compare these F-cars to the classic 911?

I had a great time again at this years concourse in Denver and was able to compare the TR's with lots of other F-cars, but no boxers. I'll upload some images now that I know how in another thread.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these classics.

Robb Williamson
    Centennial, Colorado
    www.williamsonimages.com

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I have both: An 88.5 TR, and an 83 Boxer. For long trips, I like the TR........better long distant cruiser. For short trips, I prefer the Boxer.....more raw. It would be a tough chose, if I only had to have one.

I don't know anything about the 911...........except, that they all look the same, to me........sorry!!!

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i have both a boxer and a 930 turbo...they are both unique. my turbo is heavily modded and there is no substitute for the acceleration as they have no equal!! the boxer i have owned for several years and i must say that it is a tremendous ferrari to own. i had looked at tr's prior to buying and chose the bbi hands down. it is a real ferrari...now to find a good one...that's the trick!!! i actually looked at 12 bbi's before buying mine. it was an awfull process and i remain stumped on just how many crap bbi's are out there!!

pm me if you wish to chat more on the cars.

pcb

4. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I would get the boxer over a testarossa but if you are considering a 512tr i would go with that. The boxer is truly an awsome car.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Pretty much sums up my experience with the TR and the 328.

The TR and boxer are both awesome - Just get what you like best! TR's are of course a bit easier to find.

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Get TR! You already have Porsche! (unless you want to be Porsche man)

My words ar based on enjoying the variation of life.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Guys,

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. Since posting, I have been going over many of the previous comparisons in the archives. Lots of good info. I picked up a nice heavy coffee table book on the marque and it has a good section on both.

I am undecided and will have a great time finding the right one. I am 6' 200, so we'll see if there any issues there with the Boxer.

Don't see how I can lose with either. The TR seems like it would add more driving variety to my 911. It is also quite a different look. The Boxer seems to have more similar qualities to my 911. (I know, apples to oranges.)

I really like:
    No power steering - Does the Tr have this or not?
    the Boxer Lower Paint Trim
    Colors other than red
    You also gotta love the orange front panels on the Boxer.

Ever noticed that the worst thing you can do is photograph a TR from the rear with a wide angle camera. It makes it look lopsided because it is so wide. People are so lazy with this. So much nicer when photographed with the right equipment or seen in person.

As a photographer covering many years of the Denver Nuggets Basketball, I remember Chris Jackson (aka Mahmood Abdul Raouf) from LSU (my alma mater) arriving to the games via Testarossa. This would have been in '91 to '94ish. It was black with black interior. Great sound. I would always run by him or vice versa on I-25 going and coming from the games. Not sure but I think it was a '92 512TR. Wonder where it is now. All black and just stunning.

No photos but wonder if anyone else knows about that TR.

Thanks again for the good start.

Robb Williamson
    Centennial, Colorado
    www.williamsonimages.com

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Robb.
    None of the TR series has power steering.
    I'd be curious to know which has the most headroom specifically. Im the same size you are.
    Happy hunting!
    Dave