Does this look like collision damage? | FerrariChat

Does this look like collision damage?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by UroTrash, Jun 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #1 UroTrash, Jun 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What do you think about this inside left engine bay, does it look like prior damage, or do they sometimes look like this? (330 GTC)

Thanks for any advise.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    #2 Dave330gtc, Jun 10, 2004
  3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I would tend to think thats original, and just some sloppy work. It it were accident damage it would tend to have been more extensive if it were capable of reaching that area.

Looking at the sections both in front of and behind the "bent" area, it appears fairly clean including some of the right angles and box sections. If the car had been hit hard enough to twist or bend the inner fender like that, its hard to imagine these other areas not also being tweaked.

However.... its really not that hard to imagine Guido in the body shop during assembly having a bit of a hard time getting these pieces shaped to fit and resorting to just bashing/stretching it some. Not uncommon.

This also relates to how the panel gaps and fit is often on these cars. On my Daytona, the hood fit is good.... but far from Lexus like perfection. The gap on one side is noticably smaller than the other and the rear shut lines dont match up perfectly. The car has never been damaged... its been like that since new. Look very close at pictures of the unrestored original cars that are shown in detail inside Cavallino and Forza magazine. Sometimes the panel gaps are pretty horrible! But during that period Ferrari was hand building the cars and having perfect panel gaps just wasnt on the radar screen.

Terry

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Don't they have reproduction "damaged" panels to correctly replace the "original" damaged panels? By the way, if you replace that "original" damaged panel, can I buy it from you? I want to build an entirely new car around that one original panel and claim that it is the original car.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    But to do that you would need enough "original" damaged panels to make up 50% of the entire panels ;) ... to fit the Horsefly rule :D

Now if you take my continuous history view, the "original" damaged panel is just scrap metal the minute it is removed and disguarded, as it should be ;)

Pete

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Pete & Horsefly are like a plague. They are spreading to nearby posts; soon they will take their argument across all Fchat threads finishing in the Bikini thread. In the Bikini thread they will continue their discussion about: rebodying; authenticity; correct color; exhaust smell; is it how it left the factory; etc. regarding the subjects of the various bikini pictures.

Art S.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, now that is weird ... but point taken and noted ;)

Pete

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    that would suck !!! ROTFLMAO

9. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    #9 JonBrent, Jun 11, 2004
    Art - that's pretty funny!

Anyway, here is a picture of the engine bay of 7537. This car was pushed in at the front slightly, and in the picture you can see the wrinkles in the side vents. All to be fixed soon. Horsefly, make me an offer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    John,

My car, 7919, has similar appearance on the inner fenders. Good luck with your restoration. By the way, when was the last time you were in Hopewell, NJ?

Art S.

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    In the area of the brake booster, on many cars (330 + 365's), (that have not undergone high-buck resto) I have seen metal work similar to this. I imagine that it was a (hand made) modification to the earlier design inner well to accomodate the booster.

Regards,
    Bill

12. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Well, from the shock towers on back, the sheet metal is straight.

However, there are two bashed areas in the back (one for the fuel filler tube, one for the fuel pump) which are pretty crude. Same on 7455, so must have been original.

Art, I was in Hopewell last summer visiting Mom & Dad (who are down near Lambertville now), and may be back next summer. Beautiful as always.

Cheers,
    Jon

13. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Nice project car, how is it coming are you in Fort Wayne, by chance?

14. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Coming along slowly. Hope to be driving later this summer. I am about 100 miles west of Ft. Wayne.