Too much risk? 355 for sale with weak pedigree | FerrariChat

Too much risk? 355 for sale with weak pedigree

Discussion in '348/355' started by sagaponack, Jun 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480873911&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

Check out the link above.

A Tour de France 355 6 speed 98 spider. With 9k miles. 15k not done.
    Owned by a dealer outside Albany, NY with no Ferrari experience.

Dealer bought it at the Manheim highline auction and drove it home. There is no history on the car. Why would someone sell a decent car at Manheim? Why didn't the usual Ferrari dealer buyers buy this one? Seems like he is into it for about $85k. They have not checked out the car beyond testing the radio and the top on the drive home. No compression test, no nothing. Doesn't think it has been painted or hit but who knows?

There is nobody qualified for miles to do a PPI. I would have to flat bed it to Wide World of Cars---over 200 miles away.

Isn't this car a pass?

Rob

www.bridgemc.com

2. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Definitely a pass...i would NEVER buy a Ferrari without complete knowledge of its history. I would also be very hesitant about buying a Ferrari from an auction....but thats just me.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    pass. with extreme prejudice :)

there are SO MANY 355s out there. wait and find a properly documented car.

doody.

4. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    For $80K...... You can always negotiate for contingency upon PPI result (I don't know the seller would go for it, but doesn't hurt to try if you really want this car) However, after paying tax, registration, transportation fee plus 30K service, it's not cheap at all.

What am I saying? I am saying "pass".

5. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Missing are pictures close up of the center console, glovebox airbag cover, and the esoecially the brake handle and labels inside the seatbetls (that get frazzled)

The Carfax makes "sense"...no smog check failures. You can call the dealers for records where it was located.

355's and earlier are common mileage tunrback/unhook speedo deals. After taking a bite out of that turd I don't want another.

At that number of miles it should be on worn original or a fresh set or tires....not half way through the second set...check that.

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    The Advert also says it"s an F1 when it is plainly not,to many potential problems,stay clear "You have been warned"