Anyone know of a good place that does wheel polishing | FerrariChat

Anyone know of a good place that does wheel polishing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SF355, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SF355

SF355 Rookie

May 16, 2004
    I'm looking for a good wheel polishing place to polish a set of stock magnesium wheels. I've heard polishing magnesium is much more difficult than aluminum because you have very little time to preserve it. Does anyone know of a shop that specialized in magnesium?

2. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    I'm currently having a set of U.S. style spline-drive TR magnesium wheels redone through a friend who owns a wheel store just down the street. His shop is called Happy Hubcaps, and he sells wheels, hubcaps, and is an outlet for wheel repairs. He sends them off to a refinishing place here in town that his store uses due to their quality, quick turn-around, and excellent reputation. The wheels are being repaired for curb rash, rim chips, stripped, and repainted.

Haven't got the rims back yet (should be ready next week), nor have I received the total bill yet -- but it should run around $350 - $450.

If they turn out as expected, I plan on having the original metric style spline-drive TR rims redone as well.

3. SF355

SF355 Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Please let me know how they turn out.

4. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Will do, SF355 :)

5. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    #5 Eric308gtsiqv, Jun 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As promised, here are the pics and details of the refinished Testarossa rims...

As mentioned earlier, I purchased this set of 4 rims from an eBay auction. They are 16" USA (non-metric) spline-drive TR rims. My car currently has the metric rims on it with the pricey Mich. TRX tires.

Decided to have this "spare" set refurbished so that I would have a better selection of tires to choose from for regular use. When the existing TRX tires currently on the car are too far gone, I'll swap them out with these US size rims/tires, and store away the metrics to keep with the car.

The buddy of mine that I previously mentioned took care of everything for me, and total cost was $ 430.00 with about a week turnaround. Needless to say, I was 100% satisfied and ecstatic over the results. All 4 rims look brand new, and I can't even tell that the damaged rim had any damage at all! Amazing! I plan on having them refurbish the metric rims also when the time comes.

Here are a few pics of the damaged rim, followed by pics of the rim refinished / refurbished:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Beautiful work!!!! My gosh and the price is very reasonable. Congrats.

7. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    SF355- Make sure who ever does your rims has had prior experience working with magnesium. Once polished, magnesium has to be clear coated immediately. If the slightest amount of water (raindrop, fog, etc.) gets on them after they are polished, but before they are protected, the area exposed will turn dark black. Trust me....I learned an $800.00 lesson with my wheels when I had them polished. Good luck.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there is a place in south cali, AL REEDS POLISHING. i have used them about 4 times to do old style porsche fuch wheels. shipping them cross country when there are people in town that do the same service.

i highly rec. they do incredible work. i'd call them and ask them.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah