550 Maranello Purchase | FerrariChat

550 Maranello Purchase

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by benwormald, Jun 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. benwormald

benwormald Rookie

Jun 10, 2004
    I am planning to buy a 550 Maranello as I am in the position now that I don't have to use it daily like my TVR and 996, I think I have settled on Titanio Grigio and Bordeaux with Dark Dash Top (Am guessing like TVR's, you don't see many without Dark Dash Tops). I would like any opinions on colour choices and comments on using and owning the things. I drove on on Saturday and found it surprisingly refined and tame. Quite quiet- so would probably go down the Tubi and de-cat route. The well known dealer said that they have seen no great surprises with even early ones and I can expect normal routine bills around the same as Cerbera etc. Have not explored insurance yet as am planning to max my no claims but am assuming that limited mileage Group 20's are all fairly similar. Any advice on 550 specific problems

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    check the archives, benwormald - lots of discussion of this.

very few recalls. a few tsbs to be careful of.

that's not a rare color combo - you shouldn't have a problem finding a car.

consider the Fiorano Handling Package if you want something rawer (2000+)

enjoy!

doody.

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ben

May I welcome you to FChat.

grigio/bordeaux is a great combo, but then there are few dodgy colours anyway, especially on 550s.

With regards specific questions on 550s I'd post your question on the main forums as a lot of the US guys seem to run 550s, and over quite big mileages. Try a search too.

Have you tried any other Ferraris?

Robert.

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Try AON and Liverpool Victoria for insurance.

5. benwormald

benwormald Rookie

Jun 10, 2004

6. benwormald

benwormald Rookie

Jun 10, 2004
    I had read the other forums for information- don't want to modify it too much but i think that the Exhaust was surprisingly tame- seems a common complaint. I was expecting it to be like a Griffith on Steroids! The dealer I am talking to I have known with Porsche for a number of years and they are very honest. Basics have all settled down now like Tyres etc. and fixed price regimes mean that you know most of what you are getting in to. I have to agree that if you buy a 2 owner one then most niggles have been sorted. Thats what people forget when they buy hand made cars is that a lot of development is carried out on your car!
    Am looking at a Titanio/Bordeaux this weekend. The one I drove was black/magnolia/daytona/250 quilted. Stunning car, very slighty tinted windows. No squeaks and rattles and very refined. Gate takes some getting used to as it makes you conscious of every change- that was always bound to be the case versus a 996, will fade with time. I want a sheer toy now as have a hot little A3 for everyday use. Have not really looked at the other models- 355 seem to be holding well but complex for belts etc. 360 so popular in London. 550 seems so much of a Bargain. The dealer has a burgundy one with crema and frankly it is as new for £59K. Thats nearly £100k bargain! You only get one chance at this and at 29 years old, there is no one I legally have to share my money with!

7. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    Hi there,

I have grigio titanio with nero. Its a fantastic car second hand value wise.
    Sound wise I converted to a tubi straight pipes with rear silencers removed so it still has central silencer and cats. The sound is magnificent. It was done by manu at scuderia systems. If you fancy listening to mine and live near kent, give me a call.

It has such an amazing presence and everyone gives thumbs up or stares with mouth open mouthing 'oh my god' as it thunders past.

zak

8. frostie

frostie Rookie

Nov 8, 2002
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Frost
    I have Argento with Bordeaux leather and carpets. Either of the silvers with bordeaux or black are a great combo, and resale wise probably the best choice. 550's are fantastic cars and great used buys at the moment.

Exhaust wise you HAVE to get a tubi. Mine has a race system with no back boxes and the central resonator replaced with a custom x-pipe from the US. Cats are still in place for MOT's but the sound is unbelievable, according to other. Never heard it at 7,000 rpm from behind myself ! I regularily form queues when going through the Hatfield tunnel waiting for my right foot to be planted.

Frostie

9. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Ben,

having been on a run and had the pleasure of sitting behing both Frostie's and Zak's 550s, I can say that both sound superb with a Tubi.

Mark's in particular sounded something akin to a bi-plane, leaving me somewhat deaf after following him closely for some 15-odd miles. Thanks Mark - the doc reckons my hearing will return to normal - eventually.

Good luck with the car when you get it!

Ben.

10. benwormald

benwormald Rookie

Jun 10, 2004
    Thanks for the details- spoke to the dealer on Sat and he does not think the decat necessary- pretty much advises as you do. Am going to hold fire until I find the right car as obviously it may already have them! Went on Saturday morning to look at a Grigio/Bordeaux I had been waiting for 3 days to come in and it sold unprepared before arrival! Customer had been looking at 456 as a first car for some time and moved on this one before I could. Dealer did mention that they get a very high rate of return of 360 sports exhausts when the Wives hear them!

11. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    Join the club, I have the only 550 in The Big Mango (Thailand) and its a Grigio/Bordeaux, with tubi and ecu upgrade, highly recommended. Oh, had the car for months now, the wife still doesn't know so no complaints about the noise. Hope that you find your car.

12. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    As for Insurance you should try Aaron Lee at Sunninghill INsurace.....my 355 spider was 1600 for the year any driver any miles free RAC ffree European Cover for 3 month periods and can commute too....not bad at all.....including my modifications

PM me for his number

Basher

13. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Found This in Graypaul's Showroom.....Thought you might be interested ?

Seb

2000/V Ferrari 550 Maranello
    Grigio Titanio with Bordeaux Leather

Mileage: 10,000 Price: £79,500
    Engine Capacity: 5500 Body Style: 2-Door Coupe
    Transmission: Manual Engine: Petrol

Specification:
    ABS, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Central Door Locking, Climate Control, Electric Seats, Electric Windows, Immobiliser, Leather Trim, Power Steering, Stereo

Additional Features:
    Red Carpets, Quilted Headlining & Rear Parcel Shelf, Aluminium Brake Calipers, Sports Suspension, Electric Exterior Mirrors, Airbag(s), Traction Control System, Fog Lamps

Dealer Facilities:Delivery Available, Dealer/manufacturer Warranty

If you have any queries with regard to any information on our website, please contact The Sales Team :Nick,Simon,David, Dominic,Daniel,And Robert. at [email protected] or on 01509 232233.

PS - I have nothing to do with them, I was just passing

SK

14. Davato

Davato Guest

Jun 3, 2004
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Florent
    #14 Davato, Jun 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017