Why do Ferrari center caps crack? | FerrariChat

Why do Ferrari center caps crack?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AJS328, Jun 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I searched the archives and I didn't find much info regarding the actual reason why Ferrari wheel center caps seem to crack. Many of the F-cars that I've seen have this problem. Is it caused by the flexing of the wheels under preasure? I just replaced all four on my car but I am curious as to what causes this issue. Any thoughts?

2. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Have a little Vino. You'll hardly notice the cracks after three glasses. At least that's what the ferrari engineers say.

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Because their Italian

4. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It's probably because the UV in sunlight degrades the plastic?

That seems more likely to me than mechanical stress.

5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great Question as I replaced 3 of mine two years ago. Again, only this time my fronts are the only one's cracked!

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    heat from the brakes, also ditto on the uv light weakening the plastic. aircraft plastics suffer faster due to heat / cold extremes and air friction. little horsies suffer from the combination of elements. all of mine have to be replaced as well...... on my to do list.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Strange...I have not had to replace them on either my 78 308 GTS or my current 87 328 GTS. And I believe that both cars had the original caps, as they were kind of fogged up on both cars and required extensive buffing with plastic polish to look new again.

I kind of wonder if the cracked ones are from use of non oem ones, like what happed to another individual recently, where they fell out while driving?

Dave

8. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Like Michael says, heat from hard braking jointed to environmental-induced degradation is the most likely cause of the problem.
    Mechanical stress should not be an issue. Plastic deformation at the center of the wheel shouls not be such to damage the caps.

Ciao

Eugenio