Battery recommendation for Dino? | FerrariChat

Battery recommendation for Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Jun 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Looks like I'm in need of a new battery -- its been turning over slowly lately and finally didn't today -- when I hooked up my battery charger/jumper and turned the key today I couldnt believe how quickly it turned over and started up.

So... any recommendations for a brand that will fit the Dino? I believe our local Sears carries the Optimas and of course Diehard.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Scott

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#2 dm_n_stuff, Jun 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Could be your alternator, too. These cars do not have a whole lot of juice. Also could be the alternator fuse block on the firewall, passenger side. It has a couple of fuses in it, and tends to get pretty beat up by heat. When I replaced mine it made a huge difference in the way the car charged, cranked etc.

Here's a picture of its location.

Just put a new battery in the Dino, but, it's back in the shop. I'll peek under the hood monday and get you a type and #.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'll take a look but the fact that when I hooked up my battery charger to the battery terminals and the car started up like I've never felt it start before, makes me think its the battery -- ie.. with the battery charger on, everything is being used in the starting system the same, except for the battery...

Thanks for taking a look @ what you have under the hood. :)

Scott

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Gotcha Scott, but, my concern is with the entire charging system in your car. You re-juiced the battery, and it took the charge, so it may not be your battery. If it's down on voltage in a day or two of solid running, you may have a charging system problem instead.

Although a battery is a fairly cheap fix to try first.

Until I fixed the connection at the rear of the car, I couldn't run the cooling fans and get the car to crank at the same time. the 25 amp draw of the fans was enough to keep the starter from getting enough amps to go. replaced the fuse block, problem solved.

I also had a problem with other stuff in the car not getting enough power to run under certain circumstances. eg, A/C on, lights on, radio wouldn't work, turn off lights or A/C radio came on. All turned out to be an amperage problem related to bad ground and connection at the fuse block.

Just some food for thought.

5. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Actually I didnt recharge the battery, just jumped it.

You could be right, but I think I'll try a new battery first and take it from there!

scott

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i am presently using an interstate battery. even though it is new, the car does not crank as powerfully as it does when on a charger. the car turns over slowly until it catches. my old battery was replaced only due to age, but the new battery isn't much better. i have to believe the dino is simply a car that doesn't crank hard. don't get me wrong, you can start it without a problem. however, it doesn't start like modern cars. you might also try a battery kill switch for when the car is parked. i installed a ferrari oem switch on the passenger side of the spare tire surround.