Rattling sound with 355 at startup | FerrariChat

Rattling sound with 355 at startup

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ed355, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed355

Ed355 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Hi, my 355 makes this rattling noise when I start up the car (after leaving it idle for 4 or 5 days). The noise comes from the engine compartment and lasts for about 20 seconds. Any ideas if this is a sign of a problem? I have had my cam belt changed about 12 months ago. Thanks.

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Have your cats checked, maybe coming apart.

Art

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The 20 sec fact leads me to believe a cracked air injection rail on one of the headers. Look closly at the outer tubes and see if there is a crack where they meet the headers.

4. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Difficult to diagnose by message board, but depending on the sound it could also be tappet rattle.

Next time you start from cold keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge. If the noise stops or decreases at the same time as the pressure needle reaches 5+ BAR then you are hearing the hydraulic valve tappets rattling as they fill with oil.

If this is the case then once the engine is warm check the oil level as per handbook procedure, or better still get the oil changed with a quality synthetic engine oil (&btw, everyone has their own opinion as to which oil to use, personally I use Shell Helix Ultra)