Sato speaks about his "MOVE" | FerrariChat

Sato speaks about his "MOVE"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by davel, Jun 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davel

davel Guest

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040611/23/4c0p.html
    He still doesnt get it. With a minor opening running into people isnt a move. Of course a couple other folks have said it was exciting and aggressive so now he feels vindicated. Watch out this weekend. Jumped starts and now just running into people off line in turns is his version of 'racing'. Another engine blown up would be nice to see for this "move maker"

2. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Sato would not qualify for an F1 seat without the backing of Honda. His insane and so called "aggresive" driving moves is costing Honda. He could have ended up in 3rd... but instead he had to take an extra pit stop to replace the nose of the car that he damaged in the accident... engine overheated... kaboom. The Japanese Kamkazee. He will probably waste another oppurtunity in Canada.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think he is simply the most successful Japanese driver there ever was and I bet Honda is thrilled beyond belief to have him.

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Give the guy a little slack. He is young (and quite fast I might add) and does not have much experience. From his comments it does not look like he is learning, but maybe he has learned from this mistake. He has a good chance for success in the near future, let's just see what he can do before sending him to the F1 grave.

5. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why always hark on the negative? He's a rookie at this level, give him some time to learn and mature. Give him some credit for competing at this level. Everyone makes mistakes, it doesn't automatically mean he sucks.

6. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    No one says Sato "sucks". His driving is immature for this level. this sort of driving belongs in Formula 3000 and CART. When you have so much money riding on an F1 race you dont want to have a driver that will blow a podium by an immature move. Ofcourse the arguement is he will mature over time. But this maturity should be there when you climb the ranks to be an F1 driver. The only reason why Sato is in F1 is because Honda wanted a Japanese driver in the team. He is not mature enough to differenciate between over ambitious "no chance in hell" overtaking and a real overtaking oppurtunity. Lucikly Rubens did not have to pay for Sato's immaturity.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree, that he makes mistakes and that he is in F1 because of Honda. But if these were the only measurements, you could eliminate half the field of today's F1. There are lots of drivers who still need to develop and who are there only because somebody wants them there. You don't get into F1 as a fully grown/mature driver.

Need examples? Massa, Klien, Da Matta to name a few from this year. But you could even add MS in his very first race in Spa, where he fried his clutch. Purely amateurish. But that's how you get started in F1.

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I concede, you convinced me. I guess I hold everyone to the standard of MS. Then I played the tape from his debut race.... so you are right.

9. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Give it a rest Imperial. It wasn't too long ago MS took out another driver with a rookie (some say deliberate) move.

10. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Unfortunately Rubens DID have to pay for ________ immaturity.

Are we talking about JPM AGAIN?!?!?!?! USGP 2003? Oh sorry Chris, I got confused by your affection for these "type" drivers.... ;0)

Might I remind everyone that this is not Sato's maiden year!!! He has countless hours in an F1 car and also plenty of race experience (also in an F1 car). The guy should know better - along with someone else on the grid (that will go unmentioned due to my lack of patience for flaming). While the crash 'em and bash 'em NASCAR types might enjoy, tolerate, and insist this behavior enhances the sport - I feel it has no place at the pinnacle of motor racing. It should not be tolerated, especially by the no deserving pay-pers.

But $ talks, always will.

Just my .02 guys.

Jim

BTW, I thought his move (not considering if it was early or not) at Monaco was pretty slick and crafty. HOWEVER, some of his other moves have removed hope that he HAS matured since his Jordan stint. It is the brainless moves that give drivers reputations. Not because they made a mistake and learned from it, but because they NEVER learn. That is what separates the capable drivers from the dangerous ones. I could not give a crap about how fast Joe Blow is on a particular day if he gets there by bulldozing.

Regardless of what a few "fans" might say about me on this site, I do not hate this driver or any others. I believe they reached this level for a reason - but they do not belong. I have watched this sport for 36 years. WHat I hate is that the things they are doing in an F1 car, and how they are doing it, is considered acceptable racecraft - and it is NOT.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh dear, I did something wrong!
    :)

Let's remediate this quickly by making a statement about my all time favourite driver Eddie Irvine, the moral WC of 99. I bet I'll be alone on that one...

12. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Imperial84- I've gain new found respect for you.

Ok guys, for your F1 dream roster, who do you think deserves to drive for

Ferrari
    BMW
    Mclaren
    Renault
    Bar

Give me those ten drivers who deserves to be on the track and will perform flawlessly every race on an inhuman level.

I'm happy with the current rosters, I like the international mix since that is probably the reason for its global popularity and why nascar and monster trunk racing will remain only a north america sport. I think F1's main problem is that the top team has the top driver so it's an uphill battle for all the other teams.

The leap from F3 to F1 is huge, the performanc difference is huge, it's implausible to expect a rookie F1 driver to conquer that learning curve instantly. Don't forget that the veteran drivers have more experience on each track in a F1 car too.

13. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    SATO SATO SATO.... hahaha... did you see that car spin (Canada Qualifying)!!!! It could have happened to anybody... but I guess it was befitting that it happen to SATO.

14. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    i think Sato has the potential to be the next MS. He's one of the bravest and most exciting drivers on the grid.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would definitely not go this far. As I said, Sato is the best F1 driver from Japan. However since about an hour I'm not even so sure on that anymore: The Japanese "kid" who won Le Mans might become a F1 driver one day.

At any rate, I think the Japanese fans are having this year one of their best motorsports years with Sato and Le Mans!

16. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Sato had a bad Canadian GP. That kamakzee manouver in the race was terrible driving.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup. Funny thing is, that in my own virtual Canadian GP he did exactly the same thing...Twilight zone.

18. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The fact that Sato's car explodes almost every race, while Button's finishes without problems speaks volumes. He drives as if he's playing a videogame.
    He has speed, but needs to learn how to use it without endangering everyone on the track.

Maybe in a couple of years.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm wondering about that myself. In the old days it would have been obvious, that the driver was to blame, but if you have electronically controlled shifts, traction control and other goodies, how can you destroy an engine?

PS: I was driving the Canadian GP on the PC game "F2002 - Challenge" and ended up with brake failure towards the end of the race. Then I did the entire race again, taking it really easy on the brakes and just about made it. So don't say you don't get punished in a video game for not taking care of your car.

20. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    LOL, you may be right. But I was talking more about his over-ambitious overtake attempts. I always manage to sneak a few dodgy passes on the Playstation by using other cars as ricochet walls ;)

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Your damage sensitivity is not set realistically. If one of my tires kisses the armco, it's game over.

22. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Yep, I'm embarassed to say I usually play on easy mode ;) On ultra-realism my car usually ends up being a shower of carbon fibre all over the first corner. Much kudos to anyone who, like yourself, can play on the hard settings.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks. I play with all settings to realistic mode and no driver aids except traction control. However I do play on a low level competitionwise, more like Formula Ford guys than cunning F1 drivers. Kinda like Andreas vs the Massas.

24. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Sato is a very quick driver with a excellent resume leading up to F1. Several of is moves while exciting, have been too aggressive, and while I can overlook that in a young driver, the definace in his comments is a bit more disconcerting. I suspect that he, like many young drivers, hasn't been burned by the fire (so to speak) of a HEAVY crash. That usually knocks some sense into them.

(Not that I wish this upon anybody, but it is a part of racing and maturing as a race driver)

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If that is the case (which it might), then I wonder about more than just Sato: Today's F1 cars are so strong that this lesson might be lost on quite a few newcomers.
    :(