Green Slime Tire Puncture Sealer | FerrariChat

Green Slime Tire Puncture Sealer

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by alberto, Jun 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Has anyone here used that green slime tire puncture sealer? I am making preparations for a long trip, and was wondering if this would be good to add to the emergency kit. It appears it can be used before or after the puncture. Anyone have experience with this stuff? Does it seal well? Does the stuff come out of the hole and coat the underside of the car and if so, how hard is the cleanup? Does it cause the tire to become out of balance? Does it corrode the Ferrari rims?

Thanks.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Well it's worked pretty well in my lawn tractor inner tubes!

3. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My suggestion, DO NOT USE THE GREEN SLIME!!!!!!!! At least don't install it as a preventative measure. Your tires will NEVER balance! I know this for a fact from experience. A car came into the shop for a tire vibration. I spun them and found them out of balance. I balance them and send him on his way. two days later he's back with a vibration. I figure a weight slung off so I balance them again. (knowing the chance of all 4 wheels slinging weights is pretty slim!) Next day he's back. This time I break down the tires and find that slime in every wheel. Aparently, when parked overnight, it oozes to the bottom, throwing out the balance! If you must use a "fix-a-flat" product, use it only when you get a flat and then drive straight to have it replaced. A little 12v air pump is a good idea also.

Dave

4. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I was looking at that stuff just an hour or so ago when I was picking up my mountain bike wheel at the shop. It looks intriguing, but as Dave just said I can imagine it's only good for brief trips only to get a tire repaired or replaced. They did have some innertubes with it somehow already applied to the inner wall, but I'm sure it's not much different than applying it via the bottle.

5. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Used last year during FCR rally...no option in the middle of nowhere and did not want to run spare on rear...worked reasonably well and I replaced the tires when I got home. No damage to rim - I think it is worth carrying.

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I did and this is the result:

:)

7. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Now that's funny!

8. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I was looking at it as purely an emergency use thing, not as preventative. I am driving to Montery this year from San Diego, and was wondering if it was worth taking. It appears based on your comments that it is good only for the purpose I intended for it: emergency use only.

Thanks.

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

My god!! It got everywhere didn't it? Too funny!!

I carry a can as an emergency tool. "Knock-on-wood" I haven't had to use it yet, so can't comment other than that.

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Exactly! Don't get me wrong, the stuff works. But use it only in an emergency. Hopefully you won't need it anyway! Good Luck on the road!

Dave

11. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    I use the green stuff for many years but only on the ranch machinery with great success. Seeing Martin's results, I'll never use it on the LM !!!
    Roland
    F40LM