Ignorance of most US pop. about F1 | FerrariChat

Ignorance of most US pop. about F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by sjb509, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I was listening to WLS in Chicago this morning and they had a contest for two tickets to the USGP and dinner. All the callers had to do was answer one measly question correctly to get the tickets. These are people calling to go to the race, and their answers:

Q1: Where was the US Gran Prix from 1961-1979?
    Answer (incorrect): (very confidently) Detroit Michigan!
    Correct Answer is of course Watkins Glen

Q2: How many drivers competing this weekend have also driven in the Indy 500?
    Answer (incorrect): Montoya and Da Matta
    Correct answer is just JPM.

Q3: Who was the first F1 driver to drive the F1 course in Indy?
    Answer (incorrect): I have no idea.
    Correct answer is of course Frentzen.

AND THE WINNING QUESTION AND ANSWER:
    Q4: How many drivers normally appear on the podium of a F1 race?
    Answer: Three.

Does it strike anyone else as sad that people calling in to win tickets to the race woud be that ignorant of the history and current drivers in the event? Some guy won tickets for answering how many drivers are on the podium. Whew, that was a tough one...

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's your target audience.....NASCAR land!!!!!

They'll be giving the tickets away on 16th St., once the music starts.......

3. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Interesting topic. One which I have been asking myself and others. Why is that the majority of people don’t get F1 racing in the USA?

Understand that my comments are my opinion and that I am not well versed in NASCAR.

I really believe that the majority of people in the USA do not get F1 because of the following:

• Its not simple race to understand like NASCAR. There is a lot of strategy in F1. A great example would be the race that just occurred in Canada.
    • The sense that F1 is for the elite (Ferrari, BMW) versus NASCAR in which they drive “my” Chevy.
    • In if F1 you cant see the whole race sitting in the stands. In NASCAR they go round and round right in front of you.

Here are just some of the results I have come up with talking with others. I would like to hear what others believe.

Nick

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Ok, quick, without research, answer the following:

Which NASCAR driver used to race in leather wingtips?

Which NASCAR champion last won in 1984? Where, and who was on hand to congratulate him?

What's the current NHRA Top Fuel ETA and Speed records? Who holds them?

What's the current NHRA Funny Car ETA and Speed records? Who holds them?

Who won the 2003 V8 Supercars series? Who leads that series now?

Not knowing every bit of trivia doesn't make people ignorant or improper race fans.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I think the answer is simple, most of the races are on at strange hours in the am or pm. No primetime, no following. No different than soccer which millions and millions of american youth play, it does not get primetime visablity thus no following. To use internet speak - americans have to pull F-1 to them, while NASCAR is pushed to them.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We are sitting in the Italian restaurant last Sunday, after parking all out F cars in front in a line and setting up in the bar to watch the race...

after awhile our waiter comes up and asks..."which team do ya'll like?"

Duh..... "the red ones, man...there in front!" lol

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    To be honest, I didn't remember that it was Frentzen who was first out on the Indy track.

As far as the NASCAR questions go: No clue. I met a NASCAR fan recently and was proud that I at least knew the name Jeff Gordon. But they were turned off by him and said he sucked. No idea why the said that. I thought that was rude: If somebody who has no clue about F1 and mentions they liked e.g. JPM I wouldn't just brush them off. Anyway.

Before we wonder why F1 has not much of a following in the US we should try to figure out, why only oval racing is apparently interesting to the US fans. And I think the answer lies in the tradition, that's what was always around, whereas racing in Europe was all road racing.

If you believe in oval racing, F1 is not for you. Nor is CART.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've discussed this with nascar fans at work. This is typicall the answer they have. It's quite a legitimate answer as well, but there's little to no appreciation for "those sup'ed up go-karts".

9. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I really think two more races in North America would change the whole scenario. I would like to see a North America GP in California and a Mexico GP.

I hate the turn left series caled Nascar. It is the most pathetic form of racing.

10. speed130

speed130 Karting

May 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Most people in the US just don't "get" road racing in general. Whether it's F1, SpeedGt, Formula BMW, they just don't get it. It's hard to explain but those who get a chance to take a car out on a road course will have a great appreciation for it and be hooked right away. NASCAR is great but lately the races have been too long and have had too many cautions. On the other hand, F1 in Canada, TV coverage started at noon, I was floating around in the pool by 2:15, just perfect.

Steve

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It's probably more of a cultural implication as to why the majority of americans do not get it. Keep in mind, it also has to do with media and broadcasting priorities as well.

12. Apex

Apex Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    NASCAR to F1 is simply the difference between eating and dining... Strategy present in both forms of motorsport, but F1 strategies run more than two layers deep.

13. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    coming from the land-of-TV-dinners & fast food, well... there's the correlation I was looking for.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think it is easier for most people to relate to nascar because the cars look familiar, and appear (falsely i know) not to be very hi tech. as well, most nascar drivers are american and often have a regional accent which plays well to others of the same 'tribe'.

f1 doesn't do that well, but neither did cart (relative to nascar), and nor does indycar, except they hold their own since they have similar familiar sponsors and race on ovals. but who knows, i suppose that if you had 3 or more f1 races in the usa, a few american drivers, maybe an american brand (ie jaguar changes to ford for usa races), and macdonalds advertising all down the side, and gave schumi tax free honorary citizenship then everyone would know about f1 !

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    good point on the relation to cars. back in the day, way before my time, it was 'stock'/'factory' cars. if only it were that way again. currently as it stands, its similar to baseball or any team played sport where rules don't change as much for the appearance of the audience's sake. being involved in F1 means keeping up with some of the rules, or else you would question grooved tires and such.

16. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Where I live, we drive on wide open freeways like Nascar. The European road system is like the F1, full of twisties.

People like to be familar with the sporting event.

Nascar does have many passing during the race as F1 has very few.

Just my thoughts.

Go Ferrari!!!

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Which NASCAR driver used to race in leather wingtips?
    Bubba

Which NASCAR champion last won in 1984?
    Bubba Jr.

Where,
    Bubbaland

and who was on hand to congratulate him?
    Bubba Sr.

Who won the 2003 V8 Supercars series?
    Bubba III

Who leads that series now?
    Bubba III's cousin Bubba

18. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    The main reason most in America know little about F1 is because F1 is BOOORING!

Even the managing body agrees that F1 is BOOORING ... that is why they and the manufacturers are all about changing the way the game is played.

The audience worldwide is falling like a rock and the annual cost for a team is pushing $300 million for what: 16 to 18 races?

It is more unusual to have a driver make a pass for the lead in F1 than finding a two-headed snake!

F1 is like watching an exit ramp on the loop around Atlanta, Georgia ... a bunch of speeding cars in a single file line.

Just my opinion

Best wishes

19. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    With all due respect, IMHO I can’t see that going round and round in an oval has any excitement at all. Just because you pass makes a race exciting? Please.

Are we that bad in the USA that we have to “dumb” everything down?

God I hope not!

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    two-headed snakes occur in "1 in 10,000" snake births according to oft-quoted Ed Zimmerer, a Murray State University biology professor.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    the answer is yes, we do.

with the lowering funds towards education on a more elementary state, with creative spelling so our youngers can spell KAT instead of cat, yes, we are bound to be marketed towards the dumbed down sports.

22. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    American's have a fast attention span.

They don't like soccer or F1 because you have to watch for two hours to maybe see one goal or one rare pass for the lead.

Baseball is falling behind basketball and football because things happen at such a slow pace.

Our kids video games will ensure that the next generation demands even more action per/second for their entertainment dollar.

23. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    There is a potential bright spot to all of this. Perhaps, those two ticket winners who are 'ignorant' of F1 will come away this weekend with the urge to learn more about it.

24. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Very intuitive and I believe (unfortunately) right on the mark!

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

ROTFLMAO. man i needed a good LOL today too. hell most folks here that i let "know" about the ferrari, dont really know much about anything european at all, much less Formula One. hell i have a friend that is a Aeronautical Engineer and he cant even say "Ferrari" with his southern drawl without me bursting into tears of laughter.
    whomever said nascar " is fed " to the masses really hit it on the head. i watch very little TV and i dislike talk radio. and yet i still am " aware" of whats going on in nascar and who has what toy model car coming out. i mean that i am aware of it in a bad way, its a part of the culture here and its everywhere!! i am really wondering what its going to be like to start driving my 308 around here...............its almost done!