PPI Story: Hope I am able to prevent this from happening to you guys. | FerrariChat

PPI Story: Hope I am able to prevent this from happening to you guys.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by yasir, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I will keep things short but since i am unable to resolve this issue with the owner of the dealership i thought to ask you guys for help.
    3 months ago prior to purchasing my 1991 C2 Turbo,i had a PPI done along with compression,leakdown and plug change at Harpers Porsche/audi/VW in Knoxville,TN.Any how i had few issues with the car right off the bat which i didn't take it seriously untill 7 weeks ago when i found out they didn't even touch the car,period.
    After much arguing with them they finally paid for compression,leakdown,plugs and 70% for the rear tires( they were 100% bald ).Don't forget i had already paid close to $1000 before i even found out about all this.Gary the service adviser agrees with me that yes we ----ked it up big time but sorry we will not pay for anything else,car still needs about $1000 worth of repairs.
    Tom Harper says since they did not charge me for that PPI,the receipt i have from them says" 1200 completed 120 points checked over" but no charge infront of it,thats why they won't pay for the repairs.Now i did negotiate the price with them in a promise that i will bring the car back to them for the major service and since it was a negotiated price may be thats why they didn't write anything their.Tom keeps saying i should not have bought a 13 years old car sight unseen which i didn't.
    Bottom line is,be aware of this dealership and their practices.Can you imagine charging your customer for a service that they didn't even do_On top of that the Porsche shop foreman had no clue about my 1991 C2 Turbo at all ,can you believe it.
    Can someone recommend me an attorney in Knoxville,TN to see what i can do about this situation ? Thanks much appreciated.
    Later, Yasir

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm confused.

they charged you for a PPI, didn't perform it, and then refunded you the PPI fees?

did they generate a "report" from the PPI for you prior to purchase? what did it say?

doody.

3. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    It sounds to me (for the record, I'm not a lawyer) like they are trying to say that since you did not pay for the PPI (i.e. no consideration was given for the service/inspection) they cannot be held liablie for not performing it.

However, it seems to me that your purchase of the car from them was contingent upon a clean PPI, therefore the PPI was a part of that deal (and consideration was given).

Bottom line, if PPI was a part of your deal with them to buy the car, and they didn't perform it, they are still liable for what SHOULD have been noted had there been a PPI. It seems to me that they should buy back the car from you, or bring the car's condition to the standard that you were led to believe the car was in when you purchased it.

Again, I'm only a student, not a lawyer, so talk to someone smarter than me, but that is what seems to be the problem.

4. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    First of all they agree with me that the PPI was not done,period.Then they wanted to refund me the money which i denied and they agreed on paying for Compression,leakdown,plugs and tires at another dealership.However they are now denying to pay for few other things that a PPI would have picked up which they never did.Here's how the receipt looks:

OPCODE TECH TYPE HOURS NET TOTAL

A)- CHECK SYSTEM FOR A DRAW AND CHECK BATTERY,CUST SAID IT KEEPS GOING DEAD
    1200 FOUND SYSTEM WITH IN SPECS AT 24 MILLI AMP DRAW
    226 CPP 0.50 40.00 40.00

B)- COMPRESSION CHECK AND LEAKDOWN TEST
    1200 CYLS 1-6 ALL WITH COMPRESSION OF 115 PSI
    226 CPP 3.25 260.00 260.00

C)-BALANCE TIRES
    2101 BALANCED TIRES
    226 CPP 0.00 0.00 0.00

D)- GENERAL CHECK OVER
    1200 COMPLETED CHECK OVER
    226 CPP 0.00 0.00 0.00

This is exactly how the receipt looks.So my question is does it look like if they had checked the car even though their is no charge in front of it ? O forgot to mention the battery still keeps going dead and i am confident that they never ever balanced the tires other wise would he had not picked up the bald tires,i mean 100% bald,beats me.
    Thanks.
    Yasir

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    It sounds like you had a weird deal go down, Yasir.

You requested a PPI and assumed one was being done, but you never received (and thus never reviewed) its findings prior to negotiating on the car? There's not much point to having a PPI and then buying without reviewing it, right? Either you got caught up in the process (hey - it happens to all of us!) OR they flat out must have lied through their teeth about the results of the PPI verbally?

Regardless it sure doesn't sound kosher.

It also though doesn't sound like you have much to stand on legally if you have no paperwork showing they were going to do a PPI and no paperwork showing the results of that PPI. I assume they'd argue you were "mistaken" about what they were representing.

I dealt with an F-car dealer once who insisted a PPI was being done but refused to produce any paperwork. They didn't refuse bluntly, but it became clear that they were jerking me around. I called back and stopped the PPI, paid them for the two hours of labor (that I imagine was never done) and cancelled the whole deal. I had a car in PPI at another dealer and they told me they wouldn't be producing paper output for me, but the tech was on teh phone with me for a large chunk of time before the PPI when the car showed up, a couple times while the car was on the lift, and for a lengthy chat after it was stopped (the car was a mess). FWIW.

Doody

6. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Doody,
    I was reassured verbally by both the service adviser as well as the tech that they had never seen a car as new as this one.The receipt does show under the " General check over " that " 1200 completed check over" ,which i thought was a complete PPI.I guess i was told lie since they never did anything on the car.
    Can you please look at the section D) and tell me what does that mean ? Anyway regardless of whether the PPI was done or not i still think they did wrong to me by charging me for Compr/leakdown/plugs and then never doing any of that.They point blankly lied to me all along,period.
    Thanks, Yasir

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yasir:

I sent you an email awhile back on the attorney. Call Rob Frost at Ambrose Wilson Grimm and Durant (should be the first law firm in the Knoxville yellow pages). He's a gear head and sits on the city council. Was one of my best friends when I lived in Knoxville. Tell him I sent you to him.

As for Harpers, my personal mechanic that looks after all of my Ferraris and my Porsche used to work there. I can hook you two up. He's going to be much cheaper than the dealer and will really do a good job taking care of you. Better yet, he can work on the car at your house at your pace if you want to learn how to fix these things. If you need anything from me, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
    Erik

8. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Erik,
    I really appreciate you taking time and helping me out here,however i live in Elizabethtown,KY which is 200 miles from Knoxville,TN.I actually tried finding the attorneys number today on the internet and was unsuccessful but i will try again tomorrow.Btw can i have the tele number for that mechanic friend of yours may be i can work things out with him.
    Thanks again, Yasir

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You've got a PM.

10. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Eric,
    You are great,many thanks.
    Yasir

11. tech405

tech405 Karting

May 18, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Jason Mitchell
    Yasir,

I'm in Knoxville so if you need any help looking up numbers or getting some local information for you, I'd be glad to help.

Odd that you were having problems with the Harper guys. All the cars that we've bought from them have been excellent, and so has the follow up service. BUT, we've never had a problem either, so that may be were the lion shows his teeth so to speak.

Jason

12. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Jason,
    I honestly believe that it was not a mistake otherwise how can you charge a customer $450 and not even touch the car.They probably had thought since i'm from out of state i would never find out but i guess they chose the wrong person.They agree with me that yes they messed it up big time but then why are they not taking up the responsibility ? Like i said it won't even cost me $500 to get it all fixed but why would i pay for some one else's mistake or shall i call it,a deceptive service.
    Anyway goes to show us that dealers are a different kind of animals all together with no values in life,with few exceptions,ofcourse.In my medical profession we go by our word of mouth and it's all about trust but i guess when it comes to dealers all they care is milking customers for more and more money,very pathetic if you ask me.
    In my opinion this particular dealership has lost it's credibilty atleast with me. If they can do it to me i'm sure they can do it anyone,so just be careful.
    Later, Yasir