Finally signed up. | FerrariChat

Finally signed up.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by South Dakota Rich, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. South Dakota Rich

Jun 15, 2004
    Middle of Nowhere
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've been a lurker here forever and I just couldn't help myself anymore. I'm glad I finally joined.

No Ferrari yet but my wife has given me the green light. That was the biggest hurdle. It took 3 days of fighting and another week of cold female stares but in the end she saw the light. I mean really, how could you not want a Ferrari in the garage? In fact, she even got me a subscription to Cavallino.

I'm saving my pennies for an 83 to 85 308 QV. This is really the only Ferrari I'm deeply interested in and as luck would have it (thank you God), they are affordable. I like them all but the QV is my dream car. I plan to drive it a lot and do my own work on it. (No place around here to fix it anyway.) No garage queens here, this car will be well-loved, well-driven, and I'm going to keep it forever.

My job... hmmm... well, as it says in my profile, I do all kinds of stuff. Mostly I end up helping other people fix sites that aren't making money. Sometimes I can help them, sometimes I can't. For example, some folks will not part with the fancy graphics or Flash intros that are costing them sales because they spent a fortune on them. That is why I get paid in advance. You can lead a horse to water...

Anyway, that's it for now. See you around.

Rich

2. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Welcome aboard!

3. ecadwell

ecadwell Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Eric Cadwell
    yes, welcome! And keep us posted on your search.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Welcome! Good group of folks here. LOL... 10 days is a pretty good conversion time for your wife :).

Keep us posted on the car search - any color combo in particular? GTS (targa) or GTB (hardtop)?

Yeah, designing for asthetically unsophisticated clients is a nightmare. Especially with small business owners with poor design taste and strong personalities...

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Welcome - Good luck on the future 308!

6. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Congrats.
    It's great that you have a Ferrari friendly spouse. Invariably. I'm envious...

7. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
  8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Welcome to FerrariChat, Rich... Please keep us posted and post lots of pictures when you finally get the car you're looking for... :)

9. South Dakota Rich

Jun 15, 2004
    Middle of Nowhere
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have no particular preference as to which 308 just so long as it is a QV. Oh, and it's gotta be red.

The wife thing sounds easy but it took about a three month warm up period before I could drop the bomb. I started by showing her pictures (she'd roll her eyes), buying Hot Wheels (more rolling eyes), mentioning how we have so many good Ferrari roads out here (rolling eyes PLUS sighs), and then finally one day I just told her that we were getting a Ferrari but she could pick the model. (Risky but wait there's more.) Most of them are waaaayyy out of my league so it really came down to a 308/328 or Mondial. She wanted the Mondial. (I could live with that if I had to). Luckily, I found a really, really expensive Mondial online and found a really, really cheap 308. I put them side by side and she changed her mind to the 308, the one I wanted all along. Damn, that was one of the greatest days of my life.

If you guys ever mention this to her I'm a dead man so this is our little secret.

10. South Dakota Rich

Jun 15, 2004
    Middle of Nowhere
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I don't really design for them. I just tell them what to do to fix non-converting sites. A lot of times it is simply a matter of cleaning up traffic leaks and such but sometimes, yeah, sheesh, there is some real garbage out there.

The good news is that a site doesn't have to be pretty to make sales. The bad news is that a lot of business people and designers disagree with that.