Are we heading back to 80's prices? | FerrariChat

Are we heading back to 80's prices?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by stratos, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've noticed that the prices of numerous collectables/historic/vintage cars have increased significantly in the last few months. Dinos, Aurelias, Alfa GTA, 911RS and many others trade 20-40% higher than last year.
    That's not yet the case with 365 and 512BB but I guess these are the next ones inline to see their prices start rising.
    Are we heading back to an 80's-90's craze?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I feel that Datonas are on their way. You would pay 125-130 for a really great condition Daytona, and it seems like that is where ones are now that need a little TLC. Dinos seem to be going up.
    Recent major $10 million + transactions may be the start of a major trend.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let's not forget that old trader rule -- Buy in the Fall, sell in the Spring.

But have no doubt, the economy is starting to move. A year ago, the Fed's not-so-secret fear was deflation. One year later, they're talking about the "I" word again. Amazing.

DrTax

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    thats because Historical racing is en vogue everywhere ..Since u cant drive anymore on the streets ..u gotta take it to the track.

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I too have noticed that the prices of collector cars have begun to increase in value, although the cars are different this time than in '88. Muscle cars that cost over $100k? Corvettes that were $50k in '02 selling for six figures? Could it be that the type of cars which is experiencing the bubble will be different this time?

I have to think, however, that many people got burned when the market for collectible cars cooled dramatically in the early nineties. Logic would say that the guy who paid $1M for his F40 (and sold it for $300k) will be leery of speculating in the market again. Many years have passed, however, and a new generation of people who think collector cars will always be a winner may have replaced some of the guys from last time.

I remember reading articles at the height of the boom about people who owned a Daytona, for example, that quadrupled in value basically overnight. They had to sell it, not being able to afford the insurance or wanting the hassle of upkeep on a car suddenly worth more than their house. Pocketing $300k of profit may have also been a motivating factor as well, I think.

6. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    I don't know about the US but over here in Europe it must be the historic racing, I agree.
    Almost all the cars whose value has started rising considerably are those that are eligible or desirable for historic rallying and track racing. Lots of Ferraris fit in there but many other cars of the 50's-70's era too.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread, i concur that a new group will benifit from the bubble. why the hell a camaro or trans am is more $$$ than comparable ferraris is a mystery to me. i have had some super nice f bodies ( camaro / trans am ) and am in awe over the response WORLD WIDE that some of my cars got when they were for sale. if i knew a way to make this a real business i would. working on business jets pays the bills though, but man i love classic cars of all kinds!

the early eighties saw many folks chopping up the left over musclecars for the " good " engines ect when the cars were getting old and were common. be aware that from 1970 to say 1977 most muscle cars were made in fewer and fewer numbers , combined with factory strikes, and gas price wars. then the tree hugger phase hit and cars were and still are bieng crushed at an alarming rate. very few high option vettes, Z28's and trans ams were made with respect to the " common" car. i am talking say a few thousand were made with big motors and 4 speed over a several year body style run. the hemi cars, the high option mustangs, very few were made and fewer remain. as those of us in our 30's grow up and get more $$$ to spend, hence the market changes. i could care less about many cars made after 1980 or so, with only a few exception, all of which are out of my price range. i would love a Daytona or a Boxer, a carb Countach. but the 3x8's, Jalpas and choice 911's win over due to price and # available. the testarossa seems to be a stunning car, way under valued. i see the 1972 to 1980 cars in good colors and options going way up in the near future. i have a 308 gts, but dammit i have got to find a euro carb GTB , before they are all gone!!! the QV is a great car and sure to be a great value. to be really honest i love some cars so much, i could care less what they cost or how much they sell for later, it was a honor to " know " them . the Brewster Green 1973 Super Duty 455 trans am i had and the many 1970 Z28 4 speed cars i have had were absolutely a honor to play with. i hope to learn a lot from this 26 year old 308gts of mine, i hope i can save a few more as i learn how they work. my next place is going to have 4 bays and a lift!!!