New baby coming..... | FerrariChat

New baby coming.....

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by coolblue, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Hi fellow fchatters...

After years of Porsche ownership (and Rennlist!), I take delivery of my new rosso '95 355B in a few days. Now to pick the collective grey matter...firstly, I would like to take out a warranty and would like to know of places which do ones that are reasonable (they do not have to pay out ALL of the bill) and worth the paper they are printed on. Also, I did an archive search on Insurance companies which pointed me towards Liverpool Victoria who gave me a quote (GOOD!) but they did not do low mileage cover (which would suit me) even though some fchatters said that they did (BAD!), so.....any more suggestions? Finally, I plan to go to the Charity FOC day on the 10th of July and would like to know if anyone is going that might meet up with me and help me acquaint with the community

TIA

Coolblue

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    When I had a few mins in the office I checked this subject on the autotrader home page,though my car is under formula 1 warranty I wanted to know how much it would cost for an "of the shelf" warranty,sorry but I cannot remember which one I checked but it was very reasonable I think the quted £1400 for 3 years and the only stipulation is that it had to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance policy,I think the upper claim limit was 8K but not sure,sorry could not be more help but check it out on
    checked autotrader i think it was this one

www.warrantywise.co.uk

3. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Well..... from painful experience, I can tell you, you need to be very careful about what the warranty covers. My warranty (Motorplan) was cheapish at £500 for one year, but covered very little of the problems I had with my 355 Spider.

On a 355 you wanna get a plan that covers REASONABLE 'wear' items - such as Exhaust Manifolds, CAT ECUs. I've stumped up 8K in one year on various things and they only paid 1K of it! They only paid for my clutch slave cylinder exploding and leaking fluid everywhere (true mechanical failure). Everything else was 'WEAR' and therefore not covered.

Read the fine print, it may not be worth it. Seriously manifolds go all the time and they will cost nearly 1K a side to replace.

Ade

4. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Regarding insurance, best quote I had by a long way was Footman James. It was around £1,350 for a limited mileage policy (4,500 per year). That included just £100 extra to have my girlfriend on there, and she's 27!

Never claimed, so can't vouch for how reliable they are!

5. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    You have given something to go on...I will investigate these matters. Just a quickie. Anyone used a company called warranty works?

6. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I insure my car with AON, great policy and claim service 100% after the sunroof blew out and caused all sorts of problems! highly recommend!