BMW M3 vs 540i | FerrariChat

BMW M3 vs 540i

Discussion in 'Other German' started by kdross, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Every 6 months my wife starts giving me crap about my Alfa Spider. With 2 kids, she wants me to get a 4 seater. What are the thoughts of getting a BMW M3 or 540i as a daily car? I would like to keep the price under $30K, so I would be looking at used cars. Hopefully I can keep my Alfa Spider since that car is a blast to drive (and cheap!)

Ken

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I, too have strongly considered these 2 cars as daily drivers, I'll be interested to see some informed opinions as well. (I'd be looking in the 30-40k range, and would NOT consider the new generation 540i)

3. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    If I were you, I would seriously look at the space (interior) each car offers, and only then would I make my decision.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

How about the M5??? Quick, 4 doors, good room. Dunno how old a car you'd have to buy to hit your price mark, but what a car.

The 540i is also a great car, as is the entire 5 series. I've had two 5's as my daily driver over the past 5 years and loved every minute of the wheel time. There are some minor electric bugs that we've never really worked out, and I wouldn't want to pay for maintenance once it's out of warranty.

I have some minimal passenger seat time in an M3, and they are very nice. New ones are climbing towards $60K (convertible, loaded) so used ones are probably holding their value pretty well.

Perhaps the used car extended warranty offered by BMW on their cars would be worth exploring to mitigate some of the repair expense worries.

5. honeybone

honeybone Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Quebec
    Full Name:
    Honey Bone
    I drove a 530i for 3 years until two weeks ago. Love it to death but it is the worst winter car I have ever had. I don't think any of the RWD BMW's can get up a 2 degree incline with two inches of snow on it. Other than that, the 5 series are awesome. I will miss only changing my oil every 25K KM. Not many problems but I did have the fan recalled twice. The 3 series is way too small for me and my adventures but that's a lifestyle thing.

Good luck! -S

6. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I have an 04 M3. With the incentives they are offering these days and their excellent warranty that includes regular service, I wouldn't rule out a new one. That said, the rear aea of the M isn't expansive. With my six year old, I've given up on keeping the back of the seats clean. Her feet just stick straight out and invariably get the seatbacks.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    you can not get a new generation m3 for under 30k used! more like 40 k on the low end... they list for 55k new, for most well equiped coupes and they hold their value very well

8. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    As an X M5 owner I would go for the 5 series for what you want to spend, more room and very good performance I believe comparable to an older $30,000 M3.