Speedometer | FerrariChat

Speedometer

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Garyh, Jun 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Has anyone got any idea how accurate current models speedo's are?
    Following a fast run to Le Mans and back I got some interesting indicated numbers but not sure how much lattitude in Ferrari electronics these day?

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    We were discussing this in another thread, and I think general concensus was that over 100mph some(355, 360) show about 10% OVER actual land speed accordingly to GPS. Seems to be a similar story with other manufacturers as well.

I think people said the percentage was less at lower speeds, so not a perfect linear relationship.

Ade

3. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Not sure how accurate they are but the Road Traffic Act says that a speedo must not understimate the speed and must be accurate to within 10% at all speeds

4. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    thanks guys. it would make sense if it was about 10% over given that it was still accelerating within 10MPH of top end.

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes if the French police caught you- heavy fines are the norm, and they seem to regard confiscation of cars as being fair game.

Doesn't bear thinking about!

That said, they'd have to catch you first...!

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I totally agree the cars speedo will read approx 10% higher than actual speed,verified by having my road angel and tom tom navigator on at the same time.

7. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    True enough - saw several Porsche's pulled over but if you are sensible about where you do it then chances are you wont't get caught! Friend got his Merc CLK taken off him last year and had to send someone over to drive it back after paying for taxi/hotel/train etc just to get home! ouch...

8. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    drove there and back at highish speed (left the snooper at home, felt quite naked!) and only saw two police cars and one radar setup, only an X5 being done! Got blasted by a new Aston something..looked gorgeous in dark green and the widest mouth I've ever seen on a car!
    On a light note, got back to camp site (2 miles from track) to find loads of people staring into a lake (no mushrooms around that I could find!) Out of the lake came a french renault that had snapped its hand break cable and slid into the lake over night! Typical French drama with divers, police, tow truck etc and then several Brits wondered what would have happened if it had been a Brit car. 200 euros for no parking permit, 200 euros for no fishing permit, 200 euros for no dumping permit...and so on, very funny at the time having been up for most of the night!

9. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Friend of a friend was caught doing 130MPH (210KM) and was fined 750 euros and banned from driving in France for 6 months. And, this was on the way down !

I did put pedal to medal on the odd occasion, but only on their motorways. Did see loads of Rader and road traps this year. Spoils the fun a bit, next year may go in a massive american camper and sell burgers from the kitchen. . . .

Rob