Maserati Cambiocorsa Software | FerrariChat

Maserati Cambiocorsa Software

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by BusDriver, Jun 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    After updating my Maserati Coupe to the latest Cambiocorsa software (2004), I have noticed a couple of undesirable side effects:
    - the rev-limiter has shifted down to 7400rpm instead of 7600 rpm previously
    - the engine no longer blips on downshifts under braking, even in Sport mode

The car does shift smoother in day to day driving, but I am not happy with the other changes.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

- Jon

2. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    My 2002 Spyder CC was updated just last week (new clutch, CC software, many other updates).

I noticed that the performance curve of the engine changed. It seems like I have more low-end torque, but it doesn't seem to make much power past 7,000 RPM. On the 21st, I'm going to put it on a dyno and compare to the run I did last fall.

I've never encountered a rev limiter - several times I wish there was one, though. It seems to me I've had mine just shy of 8,000 RPM with no limiter action.

My update still has the throttle blip on downshifts (Sport mode only), but Creep Mode is no longer present. Instead of Creep Mode, they changed the throttle/clutch action in all modes -- now the throttle bumps about 3-400 RPM as the clutch is being released just slightly earlier than in previous versions.

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Be curious to see what the dyno reveals.

I am going to talk to my dealer tomorrow to see if they can help with this.

- Jon

4. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
  5. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I concur. My car is now very reluctant to rev past 7,000 rpm. Prior to the latest software update, the car was totally manic - the power was explosive, and the engine would just fly past 7000 rpm.

- Jon

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Make sure you guys keep giving plenty of feedback to Maserati on your opinions of the software. The great thing is that they can make software changes very easily. It looks like the earliest we will see the new generation Pininfarina designed Maserati Spyder will be for fall of 05 and I would most likely give the Cambio a try then. After driving the M3 SMG for two years I am having fun with my GT but will be ready for a change on next car. 90% of my driving is just around town and do not get out 2nd gear but on my occasional highway drives I miss the SMG. To get in 5th it is a stretch for my right arm as I am a little over 6 feet and have seat all the back and the gear shift is a little too far forward for my liking. I think if I measured my arms I would find my Right arm is longer now due to extending so far. Would also love to see Maserati give us the Shift lever with the paddles. Never used the paddles as I found it more natural to just push the gear lever forward and back.

7. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Spoke with the dealer. They have not seen anything like it, so they have contacted Maserati North America for more information.

I will know more in a few days.

- Jon

8. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    I sent an email to my dealer, too. No response yet, but I just sent it this morning.

I'll let you know Monday night if the dyno confirms the Seat-of-Pants impression.

9. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    The dealer has updated my car to the latest software one more time. Now clutch engagement is much smoother at parking speeds. However, the "blip" to match rpm on downshifts is still missing, even in Sport mode.

My car definately does not blip to match rpm. If I downshift at high rpm, the car will even lock the rear wheels!

Can you guys, esp if you have a 2002 Cambio with updated software, confirm that the car still "blips" to match rpm when downshifting with the foot on the brake with the car in Sport mode - e.g. from 3rd to 2nd while braking in Sport mode. It would be very helpful to know other owner's experiences.

Thanks

- Jon

10. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Jon, our 2002 Cambio definitely blips the throttle on downshifts in Sport mode, no difference if brake is applied. No blip if Sport mode turned off.

Does your software have the upward blip of 3-400 RPM when you first touch the throttle? That appears to be the new 'launch' technique. If now, does yours still have Creep mode? Creep mode disappeared with our last update.

BTW, I ran 3 dyno runs before replacing the exhaust. The worst of those runs showed a drop of about 20 horsepower, down to 316RWHP (down from 335 seen on last fall's dyno run). The best pre-Tubi run was about 325RWHP. Interestingly, there wasn't a real tail-off above 6,500 RPM. There was definitely a flat spot at about 5,000 RPM - that may be the missing 'excitement' that I felt with the old software.

Gained about 7RWHP with the Tubi. I haven't had a chance to really study the old/new graphs to make additional observations. Soon, I hope.

Brad

11. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Hi Brad,

Thanks for the info. I am going to share the info you provided with my dealer.

My car is much smoother at parking speeds now. I think that it has the 300-400 rpm increase when starting from a stop. Stop/start driving is a lot easier.

Did your car loose 10-20 hp with the latest software?
    That can't be right! Or is that just a dyno quirk?

Incidentally, I was able to get confirmation that the factory lowered the rev limit to 7400 rpm with "update 90" which was issued around September of 2003.

Also, I have been told that I can restore the original 2002 ECU and TCU software to the car in a worst case scenario.

- Jon

12. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I just sold our '02 Coupe Corsa Wednesday after it had all of the current software updates and new clutch pack. The computer definately still blips the throttle upon downshifting. I didn't drive the car hard enough to notice if the rev-limiter has been revised or if there was a noticeable change in over- all performance.

13. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    This quoted information (also posted by me) is incorrect - there is no way to restore the original software once certain updates have been applied.

After 3 months, my car is still not right. The dealer has been incredibly responsive and helpful but unable to resolve this as there has been no solution forthcoming from Maserati North America.

BTW, BusDriver is my new "id" to replace "ricambi_originali"

- Jon

14. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Jon,

See my reply to you at www.maserati.net.

According to the dealer I spoke to in Phoenix (recommended by another F-Chatter), one of the previous updates available from Maserati was called something like "SO-FAST".

That particular update required an ECU change and therefore you couldn't go back unless you bought another ECU. That same dealer told me that the newer updates are applied to the original ECU.

My local dealer didn't have any of that information, but believed the update applied to mine in June was reversible if I so desired.

Brad

15. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    In case anyone else is reading, that is www.maseratiforum.net

Brad,

Thanks for your reply. I am posting my response on that site

- Jon

16. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    For everyones benefit, here is a copy of my response regarding the Maserati factory supplied software upgrade for the 2002 Coupe Cambiocorsa.
    This is from a thread on www.maseratiforum.net

My dealer has told me that the update is not reversible - so if your information is correct, they must have done the irreversible version of the upgrade to my car.

I drive the car relatively aggressively, I rarely use it commute or to go out to dinner; most of my driving is Sunday drives with the local Ferrari club, and a couple of track events. So, of the items you listed, I really notice two things - missing blips on downshifts, the reduced engine performance.

The dealer has instrumented the car, and their data acquisition reveals that the computer is indeed blipping the throttle on downshifts in Sport mode, but my experience driving the car is that even if the engine is being blipped, it is not enough. The problem is particularly apparent when shifting at high rpm (4 or 5000 rpm) from 3rd to 2nd. On several occasions, the car has momentarily locked its rear wheels when downshifting - once with the Dealer's Tech driving the car with me riding shotgun. Needless to say, this makes the car a poor sports car.

To the extent that this info may help others, here are my comments (your words in lower case, MINE IN CAPS) on the items that you listed :
    - 300-400 RPM boost when throttle is lightly depressed in 1st gear. DITTO
    - Creep Mode is gone (no more beep when you pull Down in 1st). DITTO
    - Modulated (limited) engine torque and clutch engagement on launch. DITTO
    - Much smoother shifting in Auto mode (now just like an automatic car). DON'T KNOW, HAVE NOT USED AUTOMATIC MODE YET.
    - Not much change in Sport Mode shift speed. DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE FOR ME. SPORT MODE GEAR CHANGES SEEM SLOWER
    - Engine no longer pulls strong past 7,000 RPM. DITTO
    - Seems like it takes longer to reach top RPM range. DITTO
    - Still has the blip on downshifts in Sport Mode. ONLY BELOW 4000 RPM IN MY CASE, FURTHER COMMENTS ABOVE.
    - Dyno showed a drop from 335RWHP to 316RWHP. DON'T KNOW, BUT I AM NOT SURPRISED.

My advice to everyone else - DON'T DO IT if you want a sporty car.

My guess is that Maserati engineered the software in common with the Quattroporte, and as a result, ruined the Coupe for sporty driving

This has resulted in 3 months of running around for me, with the car in the shop for half the time - with no resolution yet. The dealer has been very helpful, but I believe that the problem lies with Maserati North America or the Maserati Factory.

So far I am pretty frustrated, but nevertheless optimistic that a solution will be forthcoming from Maserati NA.

- Jon

17. TridentOz

TridentOz Rookie

Jun 17, 2004
    I upgraded the software on my 2002 Cambiocorsa coupe at the same time as a noisy thrust bearing was replaced under warranty and I replaced the clutch as a precaution. At 20,000k clutch was about half to maybe 2/3rd worn.
    My opinion, improved smoothness of shifts and removal of clunking shift noise more than compensated for lower shift point in manual unless in sport, also auto shift is as smooth as a torque converter auto shift. All good news and worthwhile.
    Next change was Tubi! So much for auto as you spend a lot of time between 2000-2500 rpm where resonance is at its maximum. Manual shifting solves that and exhaust note is joyful.
    As for the track I have found body roll even in sport and brakes to be the biggest restriction on hard charging but so what.
    Finally also have had radio upgrade and reception is improved.
    There are always compromises but what other car provides so much performance, style, luxury and room for 4.

18. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    About a month ago, I had the pleasure of taking one of the pre-production Quattroportes out for a 15-minute drive. Interestingly, the CC software operated in a manner very similar to my 2002 Spyder (that's probably why all the press reports knock the QP's choice of transmission).

I assume the final version will be updated to give that same torque-converter-smooth Auto Mode operation, but the one I drove definitely didn't.

19. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Jon curious to the name change, Is it a poke at your frustration with your car? Least good to know the guys at FMoNE have been attentive to your problem. I have had not had to go back since the day I saw you there when I picked up my car. I cant wait till the new generation comes out in 2006 and was thinking maybe going Cambio on next but if these problems consist think I will stick with reliable old GT technology

20. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Actually, my original internt was a joke on my driving style.
    See http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26347&page=2

Now, ironically, the new name seems strangely appropriate given how I feel when I drive the car!!

- Jon

21. CulRad

CulRad Rookie

Aug 28, 2004
    Va Beach Va
    Full Name:
    David Culpepper
    I drove my first Maserati over the weekend. I will be buying a 2002 coupe with Cambiocorsa. I have been reading "Chat" on this site about the software for the trans and engine. The salesman in Washington DC said that they could dial it in to my liking. Must say thes cars are very hard hitting for a new driver. Which I LOVE. Notice these cars are for sale with less than 5k miles. Thinking that people bought them thinking it will drive smooth like a BMW. The coupe is a dressed up race car. Now back to the software, have they been changing it to make it a lovely shifter in "Auto" mode? Lowering the top RPM to save the pump for shifting?

22. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Don't know if it helps, but WWW.CARGRAPHICUSA.COM has a software upgrade available, I'm sure they can give you some info on what they can do to make it more to your liking

23. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA

Hi David

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the latest software updates "tame down" the car a bit.
    Auto mode is much much better, and so is low speed stop/start driving.

The new software limits torque in 1st gear (and possibly 2nd), does not blip sufficiently in aggressive driving, lowers the rev limit to 7400 rpm, and reduces the engine response and power above 7000 rpm.

- Jon

24. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    True!

Regardless of my frustrations with the software (I would be a happy man if Maserati provided a way to undo the software upgrade, if only!!), the Maserati Coupe is an amazing car!

There is absolutely no car out there with same animal energy, performance panache, and style! Nothing comes close. In my opinion, only the $250,000 Ferrari 612 comes close to the Maserati Coupe.

- Jon
    (I sometimes have trouble remembering not to let software quirks spoil enjoyment of my car!)

25. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    Hi, I have a 2003 Spyder. I never read it in the manuals but a conversation with my salesman a few months back - I too was moaning about the blip missing on downshifts - revealed the following: you can do it yourself!

Here's how:
    Almost exactly AFTER pulling the left paddle shift stab at the accelerator pedal.

Suggest you try this where there is no traffic to get the hang of it ;-)

Enjoy!

Regards from Zurich...