who were the ducati guys i talked with sunday??? | FerrariChat

who were the ducati guys i talked with sunday???

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by jbrosseau, Jun 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    #1 jbrosseau, Jun 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dan and Kie. Dan is not on F-chat, and Kie rarely is.

3. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    thanks dave. just needed some imput from those guys.

4. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Thats a cool bike. Is it already titled in WA state? If not, transferring it to here is not a guarantee since this bike was not sold in the US for street use. On the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) from Ducati NA it had "FOR RACING USE ONLY" in big, red, capital letters. So... is it already titled somewhere else? Is it still on MSO? The paperwork and registration is a big deal on these bikes. Be prepared for possible epic battles with DOL clerks and Washington State Patrol VIN inspectors. Was it a grey-market bike or one of the 50 or so imported by Ducati NA for race use?

Another issue, at least for me, would be that if I got an '00 748R I would forever be kicking myself for not holding out for an '01 which came with Ohlins forks and rear shock, a ridiculously exotic shower-head fuel injection system, newer generation brakes, lots of carbon, etc. I suppose if you never knew that the '01 was mack-daddy then you would be just fine with an '00 so you could just forget this whole paragraph.

The price is fair, thats for sure. From the pics I can see Ferracci rearsets, a cool clutch cover, carbon rear hugger and the Termi' pipes. Nice upgrades. The exhaust is spendy because he did more than just replace the slip-ons... he replaced the middle section as well. Does it have the turn signals and stock mirrors still? Has the bike seen any track time? Crash history?

I can go on but you get the idea. Keep asking questions like you're an anal Ferrari owner :)

kie

5. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    kie, it is not a grey market bike. its a one owner from a guy on my hayabusa web board. he is building a turbo busa and has no time for the ducati and decided to let it go to me. it has all the stock equipment. it has tags for texas. never raced or crashed. valves and rockers checked at 2000 miles. for $8k i cant pass this up. he knows he can get lots more for the bike, but does not want the pain of haggling. a 01' in red would be very nice indeed, but for the money this is a no brainer. any other info you can tell me about these bikes? i did a little research, but not enough to really please me. thanks, joe

6. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    First of all... 748R's (any year) only came in yellow. The main difference for an '00 748R verses an '00 748 would be the engine and slipper clutch. Higher comp pistons, more aggressive cams, Pankl titanium rods, slipper clutch. The rest of the bike would be the same specification as an '00 748S street legal US model.

The fact that it isn't a grey market is very helpful with registration. The VIN will come up in the WA state DOL computer as a North American model so that helps immensely. 95% chance you will sail right on through.

I agree that the price is right.... especially compared to what you were looking at on the local dealer showroom floor. Although really, as sad as this sounds, I think $8k is about right for a private party sale for an '00 748R. I know a guy in town who bought a new '02 748R for $10.5k if that is any indication on the state of affairs.

k

7. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    im poped onto kelly blue book and looked up trade in and retail pricing on a 748R. they only show up in 2001, not 2000. but the trade in value for a 01' was low 8's and retail was low 13's. so yes as far as a private sale goes i am right in line. but it beats the hell out of paying the dealer "bend me over" price. so no red "R"s? interesting. why is that?

8. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    well i went ahead and bought the bike. awsome if tuff to run on the street. loud as hell and tuff to launch. riding at anything under 4000 rpms is a *****. the vented clutch sounds like a jackhammer and the pipes sound like two pitbulls fighting over a steak. suspension is like a rock and the bike is like a knife in the corners compared to my hayabusa. BTW, it has the shower injection and all the other fun stuff that make a R an R. so far been a awsome bike and look forward to riding it more. thanks for all your input and helping me with my questions at the park. joe