Ford GT or 360 - I'm down for one of 28 UK Cars | FerrariChat

Ford GT or 360 - I'm down for one of 28 UK Cars

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by homemark, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. homemark

homemark Rookie

May 23, 2004
    London
    Interesting conmundrum?

I'm one of 28 people in the UK allocated a Ford GT with anticipated delivery in Q1 2005. This week I received my order pack with the specification, extras, colours etc. Ford have been very good with all sorts of invites including the Motorshow (actually got to kick the tyres) and later in the month to Goodwood.

Ford won't yet be drawn on the price although I'm reckoning on circa £110-120k.

I'm amazed at the difference in opinion this car has created. Some think the GT will be simply awesome whilst others see it as none other than a Capri with a big engine!

So, what do you guys think.

Imagine you're sitting there in 9 months time with a Ford GT and a 360. What would you choose and why?

2. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Nice one on being on the list.

Just had a bit of a think and despite not being in a position to buy either, I think the GT would edge it, just for the sheer exclusivity of the thing.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    are you on the list twice as you have posted twice

4. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think you have to go for the GT
    anyone who thinks its a souped up capri is on drugs.
    Capris were ****e this is the rebirth of a classic.

Andy.

Ps:- if you decide not to buy one , I would be happy to take your place on the list.

5. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Buy the GT, sell it for a premium* and use the profit to get a 360 CS.

*Or sell your place in the queue?

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Go for the GT.

If you don't like it, I'm sure the supply/demand imbalance will mean that it will be a piece of p1ss to sell (probably at a profit!), then move on to the 360. Seems like a no brainer to me!

7. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    £110K.? I'd be VERY surprised.. Ford are making the European Ford GTs that bit more special than the American cars.. and I think in part it's so they can justify a higher price tag for it. Not only that, it needs type approval for Europe since the USA car doesn't have amber indicators, or headlight washer jets etc.. and the cost for meeting type approval will be passed onto the small number of owners I suspect.

I looked long and hard at buying a Ford GT from the USA.. I'd managed to negotiate on a first-batch GT, and including shipping it over, SVA'ing (I know a bloke.. ;) ) and with import tax + VAT it was going to work out at about £120K.. and that's for August/September delivery ..

What put me off is that it's a left hooker, and that parts are going to be a nightmare to obtain (even for those with Euro warranty).

Since you're down on the list for one, why not just buy a 360 now, and drive it til your GT arrives (whenever that is).

Don't forget, you're asking a bunch of fellas who own a 360 whether they would choose a 360 or a car that (apart from a few journos) nobody has actually driven..

To LOOK at, the GT is a much better looking, but as it's name suggests it's more of a GT and should be compared to a 575 rather than a 360.

There will be a fair few USA cars being imported in the coming months, so I hope that Ford make the Euro cars significantly different, otherwise the premiums may look weaker when the official cars arrive.

Now, if the UK cars were RIGHT hand drive.. now that's a different matter..

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    It has to be the Ford GT preferrably in Gulf Colours.

9. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Do you know if that would be available from the factory? Best racing colour scheme ever!

10. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    You lucky lucky b......! GT definetely. Then p/x it in for an Enzo!

11. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    No sure but if you don"t want it then I could "suffer" with the dilemma

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    What happens if the price is more like, say 150K+... does it matter? I guess it just adds to the exclusivity.

13. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Go for the GT; many commentators say it is a better drive than the 360, and I suspect it will not depreciate like a 360.

And that engine note is worth the asking price alone...

14. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    I too would go for the GT, I think it is *the* most beautiful design on the road at the moment, and the exclusivity would seal it for me. Very lucky indeed to be on the list.

15. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Well, if it is £150K+ then it may depreciate, since the US cars are just £80K (and as they're both LHD, it's harder to justify that difference)

And there are rumours that Ford are going to make future batches of the Ford GT thereby undoing it's exclusivity.

16. Dwrights

Dwrights Karting

May 25, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    It,s got to be the GT hands down.It,s just amazing!! If you want to sell your place in the queue I will bite your hand off.Hehe.

17. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew

I think that Gulf colours are available from the factory. Certainly one of the prototypes featured in Evo and Autocar was painted as it should be

18. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David

Ford dont seem to think so as on the launch for the European journalists they provided several 360's so the press could drive them back to back. Most of the tests I have read say the GT absolutely p155ed on the 360 in every department.

Buy the GT. Far more exclusive and you can always sell it on for, at worst, what you paid and probably more

19. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    IMO I'd wait for the 420 if you can score one. Sure the GT is a great car, but all the press are comparing it to a design that is admittedly several years older (1997) in the 360. Perhaps I'm biased as a 360 owner, but I think Ferrari will come out with an evolution of the 360 that will hand the GT its ass. Buy the GT, hold on to it for a year, sell it and buy a Ferrari

20. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

21. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Is the Ford GT anything like a P100? e.g. is it also a two seater?

22. prmoldoaks

prmoldoaks Rookie

Jun 17, 2004
    I dont know where you guys get $80,000 for this car, Ford have released the sale lit on the vehicle now and the starting price (with know extras including stripes) is $139,000.00.

I have secured one from a Us suppler and I'm paying over $200,000 for the car and appear to have a real steal and later orders are now exceeding $250,000.

The UK price for this car has not yet been released but its going to be in excess of £100,000 if your one of the luck 14, and that does not include essential extra's.

There is one for sale in the Sunday Telegraph at the moment and the Guy has a order secured he is seeking offers in excess of £200,000 for startes.