348 seatbelt recall | FerrariChat

348 seatbelt recall

Discussion in '348/355' started by kenster888, Jun 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Anybody knows anything about this? Any 348 owners had their seatbelts replaced? Thanks!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hot/PressDisplay.cfm?year=1998&filename=pr121098.html

Ferrari North America, Inc.

Models: Ferrari 348 Years: 1994-1995

Number Involved: 556

Dates of Manufacture: October 1992 - June 1994

Defect: The automatic seat belt slider can become jammed when the slider tape separates from the take-up reel, illuminating the seat belt warning light. Should such a condition occur, the belt must be positioned and fastened manually by connecting the belt to the fixed anchor point. The occupant may not realize that the seat belt can be operated manually, and may not use the restraint system, increasing the risk of personal injury in the event of a vehicle crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the complete passive restraint seat belt system. Owner notification began during November 1998. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ferrari at 1-201-816-2600.

[NHTSA Recall No. 98V250/Ferrari Recall No. 164]

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No but my driver side one no longer works it is jammed and the light was illuminated, since there is a place on the seat to attach them I just removed the annoying seatbelt light until they issue the recall for the 91's

3. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    My seatbelts work, but the automatic bit was annoying and I disconnected it useing the plug under each seat. Now I just use the manual belt locations, but my seatbelt lights are lit. How did you remove the light from the dash? Mine are lit, and a little annoying, but I haven't dug around trying to figure it out. I assume I'd have to remove the gauge cluster.

Thanks - John

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The gauge cluster is held in place by two screws at the bottom fromt if you look straight at it you will see them once these are removed it will lift up off the dash just remove the lights and you should be all set

5. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Great, I'll check it out later today!

Thanks!

-John

6. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Well, that was too easy! Thanks for the tip, now I don't have any false warning lights.

-John

7. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes it is very easy, much more so than removing the gauges on my ex-308 , now if only the timing belt was as easy :)