F1 Safety Car & the End of the Race Question | FerrariChat

F1 Safety Car & the End of the Race Question

Discussion in 'F1' started by 4Webers, Jun 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    After all the big stink lately in Bubba-Race-Land (NASCAR), I was wondering what the rules are in F1. If the Safety Car comes out for the last lap (or last few laps), I am assuming that the race would end behind the SC right? Has this happened in recent history?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Only race I can think of would be Brasil in 2003. That was one race I missed, but only know about the results. Lots of crashes, rain, and a race that ended a little short, with not all the winners on the podium due to injuries.

I'm unsure of a precise answer for your question though. But that's where I'd look at for recent race incidents.

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Here are the rules...

SAFETY CAR 164...
    l) Each lap completed while the safety car is deployed will be counted as a race lap.
    m) If the race is stopped under Article 166 Case C, the safety car will take the chequered flag and all cars able to do so must follow it into the pit lane and into the parc fermé.
    n) If the race ends whilst the safety car is deployed it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.

So this means that if the safety car is deployed with 7 laps to go(just for example). The laps done behind the safety car will be reduced from the total laps. In case the problem on the track is not solved before the beginning of the final lap, it will enter the pit lane at the end of the last lap and the cars will take the chequered flag as normal without overtaking.