308 altenator direct replacement 100amps | FerrariChat

308 altenator direct replacement 100amps

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by samtheclip, Jun 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Yes, I have done some research on here. Everybody keeps saying to have my old altenator rebuilt. I will do that but, I would like to have one to swap out for now. Can I goto a parts store and find a 100+ amp alternator there or do I need to fabricate something to make it fit. Thanks!

2. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    on a 308 alternator the most you can get on amps is 85 or 90 that is you have to take it to a shop and have your old one rebuilt that is to me the best way. that way you know all will LINE UP.

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    This should not be a big deal. I have converted many a Jaguars Lucas alts with GM and also Volvo alts with Ford and Chysler. You need to look for something the same frame size and adapt a Ferrari tupe pulley on it. You can build the brackets and the wiring should be straight forward. Just need to build a pigtail to hook into the stock wiring. You should start with going to a salvage yard and looking at late model Bosch alts from Audi's or BMW's , etc..Also might want to go to a foreign car parts store and have them look up 100Amp + alts from Bosch. Some of the newer alts used in todays cars are high output in a small case. I think the difficult part is fitting the pulley. May have to build an adapter here. My 2c

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Sam--et al

The mounting points for the 308 are unique---on a 308 or 328 alternator there are a variety of Mercedes alternators that you can pull the "insides" out and install in your housing giving you 100amps. now--the 328 is larger in diameter than the 308 and requires different mounting, but is an easier core to work with.

I have an extra pulley shiv here --i think--and just threw away an old damaged 308 alternator too--too bad--would have been perfect for you

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    SAM--PS--when you start using the EFI and direct spark---you MUST use a 100 amp unit---PERIOD!!