F355 head light housing, Is it reflector or projector? | FerrariChat

F355 head light housing, Is it reflector or projector?

Discussion in '348/355' started by W00dEar, Jun 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    looking in to xenon conversion.
    thx in advance for your info.

2. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    The 355 has both. The low beam is a poly-ellipsoid (projector), the high beam is a traditional simple reflector & the beam pattern is created via the lens, i.e. the lens is not transparent. The bulb system is H1 55W Halogen.

I can't speak for the 'States because I'm not 100% up on the Regs, but xenon would be illegal on a 355 in Europe.

This is because by European law, xenon headlamps must have automatic self levelling, a means of cleaning the lens while driving e.g. washer jet or wiper and a warning indicator to tell the driver when the washer fluid is low.

Since the 355 has pop-up headlamps, and NO levelling adjustment xenons in Europe would be a definate NO-NO. There's no way of getting the headlamp pod to park in exactly the same place each time.

Also, I'm not sure the pods are big enough for the optics, burner, igniter and control modules. Typical length for this lot is 200mm.

Good luck & let me know if you do it/what the results are & what hardware you use.

Rob.

3. The lowbeam is a projector, Im not sure which bult type H1 or H4. In order to have the OEM you look you need 4100K HID capsules and Ballasts. Since HID's come in D2R and D2S bulbs with no base like regular halgen bulbs. You need a rebased bulb which is often hard to find since all HID kit are banned in the US by the NTSB. What you can do to get a really nice look is fit a HID projector in where the halogen projector is and run a D2S bulbs in there and have a perfect cutoff and color and lightoutput.

Or you can search ebay and get a 2 ballasts and two D2S bulbs with a H4 base on them and put that in your housing although there might be some glare and not a even beam pattern as the projecter was designed for halogen not HID.

Just dont get any asian kit with 6000k or 9000k color temperture it wont look anything like the other cars since they all (ALL) use 4100k Phillips or Osram capsules.

4. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you both for your input, very much appreciated.

I think I will try the modification. I would only do it if the low beam is projector(my newly accquired F355 is not delivered yet that's why I could not find out myself), and now I know it is.

I have seen xenon conversion on both reflector(BMW M roadster) and projector(NSX) 9006 low beams head lamps. The reflector did not turn out too well with xenon conversion, it did not look anything like OEM xenon, and has bad beam pattern. The projector turned out very well, the light is OEM look, some glare but not bad at all. I don't think it is DOT approved or street legal technically, but I won't worry about that for now.

I will try to go with a HELLA kit with 4500k I think. Will keep you all posted.

5. 2 hella or valeo projectors and 2 phillips 85122 or 85123 D2S HID capsules and 2 OEM Hella ballasts. Pop those projectors in the place of your halogen projectors and insert bulbs and plug in ballasts and your good to go. 4500K is generic since phillips only makes 4300k 5000k (as a replacement bulb to match 4300 colorshifted bulbs) and 6000k ultnon bulbs which are blue/purple and dont really look that OEM but have a interesting color.