Interesting VW supercar 600HP 3.5 | FerrariChat

Interesting VW supercar 600HP 3.5

Discussion in 'Other German' started by matterhorn762, Jun 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
  2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    It's old news, I'm pretty sure they already decided not to build it.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    That's from a year or two ago. They are not making it, but the W-12 engine, of course, we are now seeing everywhere. I thought it was a great looking car at the time and these "W" engines are now proving very useful to VW. Good concept car IMO.

4. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Why do car companies put some much time and money into supercars they never plan to produce?

5. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    So they can showcase all of the latest technology the company plans to eventually bring to market. They are also doing it to feel out the market acceptance of the car under their badge... like this VW. I doubt that anyone would pay the money for a VW like this (like I doubt that the Phaeton will succeed). I hope that they prove me wrong in reinventing the company image. It's always goofd to have more competition in these markets, because it prevents the leaders from getting lazy and sit on their laurels.

Brad

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Like Viper 10 mentioned, they're usually showcases for the new technology and design trends - usually elements of the car will show up elsewhere.

Apparently this car had some stunning test runs though, it's surprising it didn't come out - even in limited run or as an Audi. Although I'd bet a lot of the R&D for this has gone into the Audi LeMans Quattro concept.

And Viper is right, the Phaeton is apparently tanking pretty badly and they've even cancelled some of the engine options on it.