Ford Gt 565 RWHP? | FerrariChat

Ford Gt 565 RWHP?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by G-force, Jun 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    old news.

the consensus seems to be that the firm wasn't working on production cars.

and none of the magazine tests have been done on performance cars.

the first car ("Job 1") comes off the line, supposedly, on 06/30 (purportedly slipped from 04/29, which was the first rumored date).

that said, the performance numbers thus far do suggest some big number not unlike this.

we just won't know until a production car gets on a dyno.

doody.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wayne
    Last Aug. I posted that the Ford GT would have at least 550 RWHP and that it was 7 sec. a lap faster than a 360 at Luguna. A few weeks ago it went 213 at Nardo. (I know the 205 # was in the press release but the real # was 213) This car is the real deal. The gearbox is duty rated (Continous use) at 750. With minor tweaking this engine will make 750HP at the crank. All of this for less than a 360 or a G. IMO Second editions are on the way. One will be in the Gulf colors with a bump in HP. I also believe that a Third version will be released in 06 to coincide with the 100th aniv. of LeMans that will have even more HP and look a bit more like one than I'm particularly fond of.
    Forced Induction=Big HPfor Less $.
    Best

3. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Napolis, Right away after I posted this information on another site, I received the comment, "Depends on what you mean by minor tweaking." Do you (or any of your contacts) have any specific mods in mind, or is it still too early for specifics? Thanks!

4. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I want one but refuse to pay over MSRP!

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mark E who supercharged his 308 and used to post here, I'm not sure if he still does, thought by increasing pulley sizes, inlets, fuel/air etc you could raise hp nicely for about 10K. (approx 650) 750 might require a bigger blower, he went into specifics somewhere in a thread about the Ford GT. I posted link to a video of the blower. He's the one I'd talk too. The bottom line is that Vipers, Vettes, The Ford GT, and even P cars are alot simplier to hot rod than Lambo's and F cars and hot rodding them costs much less. Alan did add NOS to his Lambo and it seems to work very well for what he wants to do but that's really not much use except for a drag race which is fine if that's what you want. You can make a killer Viper, Vette, or P car for a lot less that a Novetec 360 or TT Lambo G. I bet the Ford GT will be much closer to rodding a Viper than a F or Lambo.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wayne
    If you wait I don't think you'll have to. There are a lot of 200K cars chasing the same buyers. Look at the G, Murcie, 575, CGT, GT2, or even the 360 Stradale. They can be had for list. I think the Ford GT will sell for msrp sooner than people think. You don't see too many 350K 360 Spyders any more.
    Best

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fret not - it'll be a short wait. i predict 1000 cars of pent up demand in the US absolute tops. then it'll be a bloodletting.

doody.

8. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Excellent analysis!!

9. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I agree completely. Considering that Ford is using a modified Modular engine, the aftermarket already exists for it. If this car is similar to the 03-04 Cobra, getting this car to 700rwhp is probably only bolt-ons and a pulley away.

10. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    There are probably that many Ford DEALERS in line to pick up one of these cars alone. The production run will be sold out for years. The pent up demand is probably more like 5,000 units.

People who wouldn't or couldn't for certain reasons, like politicians, many small and large business owners consider a foreign sports car are looking at the GT as away to get a mid engined exotic.

Not to mention all the current exotic owners looking for a simpler car to run. Even truely wealthy owners sometimes complain about high maintence costs on F and L cars.

It's not often you'll find an instant classic in the dealer showrooms. The ford GT fits this bill. The others I can think of would be the GT2 vipers, and 93-95 ZR-1 vettes.

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I know 2 dealers who will take 175k now and move on. I dont think we will see that 70-80k over msrp. Maybe 25k-35k at the start, and slowly settling down. The 90ZR1's are the only ones that went over msrp, at +30k early on. They settled down quickly, at msrp within 6 months, and below msrp after that. I know, I was one of the idiots that just had to have one early. lol.

12. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    in the united states? that's probably twice as many units as every ferrari, viper, lambo, aston, and lotus sold in the us in a year combined. and ford intends to sell something like 3500 units in about 18 months.

you believe there is pent up demand for a $150K sports car in the US which basically would instantly more than double the size of the six figure sports car market here overnight? that seems really unlikely, doesn't it?

do you think the vast majority of these cars are going to get put into plastic bubbles and shoved into the backs of garages and basements? maybe i could see the numbers if that was the case (each dealer "puts a car away").

my dealer is NOT taking a car. they're getting their first car in for this year and it'll sit on the showroom floor for a fair number of months and then they plan to sell it off. their second car they plan to auction off shortly. the owner isn't taking one, and it's one of the largest 100 or 200 dealers in the country. plenty of ford dealers already own ferraris and lambos and whatnots. maybe the us government officials could be argued - but most of them can't lkegally afford a $150K sports car (and if demand is as high as you suggest, the prices will be more like $175K to $200K with the markups - not $150K - at which point you're erasing all the USD-Euro conversion problems and then some).

i'm not saying you're wrong, i just don't see a logical business case for that argument. but i'm certainly willing to hear the arguments.

i'm a buyer at MSRP. i won't pay more because the prices will collapse once pent up demand is met. i don't mind depreciation, but there's a difference between a stick and a telephone pole :).

doody.

13. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Doody,

Some good comments there. I just know lots of guys in the 50's- 60's who are the smarter of the working stiffs that are sitting on 5 to 10 million dollars to live off of for th rest of their lives. These guys grew up drooling over the gt40's. They would never even consider a Ferrari but now that the car they dreamed of for so long is coming back I can't see how there aren't at least 3-4 thousand of them willing to put down the cash on the car of their dreams. These are the same guys currently plunking down 200 grand for a classic road runner. The price just doesn't matter for the car they met their wives in etc etc....

The car will sell for MSRP after two or three years but I don't see lots of them being sold off used either. The people buying this car won't be willing to dump it when the "next hot thing" comes along. We'll see the GT's for sale in 20 years when these guys start to die off. Esspecially if there is a short production life.

Even a retired husband and wife set who were both Union school teachers and saved their pennies will be able to easily afford one of these.
    Lots of grey hair is going to be buying these cars and I see lots of grey hair in America

14. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

The guy that originally bought my Z paid near 100k for it and took amazing care of it. I wonder if he would have a heart attack if he knew my cat liked to sleep on in the footwells or on the hood after I come home as they are both quite warm.

We'll see MSRP for a long time to come on the GT. Probably a wait list but you'll get MSRP.

15. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

16. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
  17. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    The 1978 (whatever) anniversary Corvette also brought quite a premium. I think the car was about $12,500 list, and some were going for as high as $25,000 or more. Now that only a $12,500 premium, but it was double the sticker, and it was in 1978 dollars.

18. Paul Vincent

Apr 3, 2004
    I got this off a Viper site. It is interesting to say the least; take it for what it's worth:
    It has been rumored the GT wil get a V10 in 2006. There is some feasability, form a technical standpoint, if not a financial one. Here is an exceprt from "Automotive Design and Production", a trade rag.

"Building a 427 wasn’t the goal of Brune’s and Coleman’s program. The point of their exercise was to produce a V10 much more compact than Ford’s current offerings, one that would provide the option of putting a V10 under the hood of vehicles where the truck V10 wouldn’t fit. “Even though we borrowed the head design from the Mustang Cobra R,” says Brune, “the 427 is nearly the same length as the 5.4-liter V8, and 70 lb lighter.” And it produces 590 hp @ 6,500 rpm, and 509 lb-ft of torque at 5,500 rpm while meeting expected emission standards, something the 1960s-era 427 could never accomplish. It also comes in 351-in3 and 390-in3 displacements—numbers familiar to Ford enthusiasts—and the former can safely spin to a heady 7,500 rpm."

The article mentions that the new V10 has a lower center of gravity than the 5.4 currently used in the GT.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

jim, this is a great point. i am in the same position as wayne where i would love to get the car but refuse to pay the premium.

jim, i would like your input on the the new gt or a well turned out era gt 40?
    i am considering the options.

pcb

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They're really quite different. The ERA is a Kit Car and while they're very well done they don't have the massive investment that Ford put into the new GT. In addition the cost to build one is probably higher that their value if you have to sell. Building something with you hands is a wonderfull thing and if you'd enjoy that that's a plus for the ERA. Having someone to yell at if the electric window breaks is a plus for the Ford GT. The Ford GT is more of a car. The ERA is more of a race car. It really depends what you're looking for.
    I wouldn't buy either one without driving them as they will be different from each other and different that what you expect.

21. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm with Doody. MSRP in 6 months to a year tops.

That said, this is a VERY exciting car. Oppie: how's the kool-aid?

--Dan