Snapped the Fooking Input shaft again | FerrariChat

Snapped the Fooking Input shaft again

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by WILLIAM H, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    FInally got my 512TR racer on the track for the 1st time this year at Pocono. We were doing a test & tune day to mesh the engine w the new Motronic computerized injection & control system.

1st lap I took around 4000 rpm to warm up, 2nd lap up to 6,000 rp, begining of 3rd lap I was just about to start hunting down some other cars & Bang there goes the Friggin shaft.

My mechanic found a 512 race trans for $14,500 & we bought it yesterday, its being shipped overnight so we can make it to Belle Macchine this friday.

Aint racing great

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but can you elaborate on a "512 race trans" -- is it an "official" F version, from a specialized tuner, from some older series done in Europe, an adapted box from an already well-known manufacturer, etc. ?

Hope you don't ever need to see the inside, but I'd love to know how/if the case has been changed/reinforced if it's still generally similar in form to the stock 512TR case.

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This new box was built by Bob Wallace or his apprentice supposedly has good stuff inside & has a reinforced case

Now I have the spare box I was waiting for. I'll have my mechanic rebuild the existing box to race specs with Hewland gears & Titanium pieces

& from now on I'll always have an extra input shaft & some gears at every meet

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Man William what kinda power are you putting to the wheels to keep snapping the shafts?

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the stock hp is more than enough to snap the main shaft and add to that the gumballs that william is probably using for tires and the main shaft becomes the weak link.

the layout is similar in the 512bbi and william, i too have recently sheared mine.

call bill pollard @ sport auto in ct as he seems very astute to this problem having worked on many 512 bb lm in the day.

he is very helpfull and may very well speak to an upgrade. 860-350-1515.

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive used Bill P for years, just took my road 512 to him today. Which car at Bill's shop is yours ?

I will be taking a spare input shaft & gears with me from now on

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

william, bill had done the ppi on my bbi a few years back. he is also helping my mechanic walk through some steps in the reassembly of my car.

i pay him for phone consultation whenever i need him...he is very knowledgable and a really nice guy! only wish he was in nc so i could have him work on my car directly.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    William,

1) I would think it pretty easy to get a better input shaft made. Shafts are easy parts to make

2) what is the weight of your beast now? And how much RWHP?

3) besides the cage have you done and structural reinforcements to the chassis?

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

How much would it cost appx to have one made? Possibly out of a higher grade steel, titanium, or forged?

On my Boxer Ferrari UK sells them for $3000.00 each, surely you could have one made for much less.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Will, sorry to hear that.

Is yout shaft stock or did you upgrade to F512M specs?