Why Ferrari and not Porsche? | FerrariChat

Why Ferrari and not Porsche?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dretceterini, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I'm sure this will upset some, but why choose a Ferrari over a Porsche? Yes, Ferrari seems to have more status, and I would agree that driving a Ferrari is actually more pleasureable than a Porsche, but the Porsche is almost as much fun, and the reliability record of Porsche is considerably better.

I've owned 2 Ferraris in my life (both 250s, when they were pretty cheap), and I'm basically an Alfa guy (I can't really afford a "newer" Ferrari)....but I would like to know why some of you who can afford it choose Ferrari over Porsche...

2. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I really enjoy owning both a 360 and a GT2. Both are fun in different ways. The Porsche is more practical and appears to be more stealth.

AW

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I don't have a very technical answer, but how's this:

1. I think Porsches look silly. I know it's a love-hate kind of thing, but I'm on the "hate" side.

2. I've driven a 360 and a chipped 996 Turbo cranking 475hp. The 360 makes my heart go into overdrive. The 911 did absolutely nothing for me. Felt like a VW with some kick.

And that's all she wrote.

nlh

4. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    1. Nothing beats the lines of a Ferrari

2. Nothing beats the sound of a Ferrari

Ferrari, there is no substitute!

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i doubt it's an either/or thing for most folks here.

i had a F355 Spider and a 996TT sharing space in the garage last year.. it looks like I'm going to have a 550 Maranello and a GT3 sharing space in the garage in a month or so.

all the different cars have different attributes. there's no crisp equivalency. you get the car that meets your buyer purchase criteria best!

variety is the spice of life, gents!

doody.

6. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I own a 360M and a 996 and enjoy both of them. But when I start the 360 my heart beat gets faster and I start getting the butterflies, even after 15K miles. The car just wants to go in any gear. It revs up fast and the transmission has a much closer ratio than the 996. It redlines so quick that you have to be ready to shift in an instant. The Porsche is a more relaxed. They are both great cars but the 360 is so exciting to drive there is no comparason.

7. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I love both, but Porsches never look quite right in red (excluding the 914). Also, Porsche really screwed up all the 911s after the 993, styling wise. The 993 is hideous! That said, I wouldnt mind having one in the garage.

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    From a former P-C4 and Turbo owner, I couldn't have articulated better than 4i2fly.....The 360 is just simply "god's gift".

9. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Because Porsches are hideously UGLY!!!!

Saabs, Yugos, Porsches and those Pontiac minivans of a few years ago with all the plastic on them are just plain BUTT-UGLY!

10. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    ^^^^
    Key word Almost

You kinda answered your own question in your question!

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My reasons are :

1) Ferrari is just funner to drive than the Porsche I had.
    2) Porsche hasn't changed it's styling since I have been alive.
    3) Like the looks of the F-car better. Also like something different.

12. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Same as what Ksullender said.
    Normal Porsche does not look good to me, it needs that aero kit, or it needs to be a Turbo, then it looks ok. Ferrari is a MUCH MORE BEAUTIFUL car than Porsche.
    More importantly, no car rips and snores like a Ferrari, none. Do you want your car sound like a F1 or a hair dryer? Your call :)

13. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I thought Porsche only made SUVs for soccer moms. I think they named it after some kind of hot pepper...

14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I have a 930 Turbo and 2 Ferraris a 328 and 512BB, I wouldn't say pick one or the other they compliment each nicely, the Porsche is my more every day type driver, less hassle and worry when parking and leaving it, but absolutely nothing compares to a 12 cylinder Ferrari engine with carbs in sound effects and torque and the exotic thrill of driving one.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How long has Porsche had the 911 shape is it over 30 years now? :)

VW had the- bug
    Porsche has the- turtle ( I just can't find anything thing sexy about turtles )

Just a little thing...but driving the Porsche, the seating position felt too up-right and like a normal car. Driving the Ferrari I sit down low and feel like I'm driving a mid-engine race car.

16. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I will take the smoothness of a V-12 over a flat 6 anyday.

17. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    how about this for an analogy...a porsche is like a wife. a ferrari is like a mistress ;)

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That would make you "Rick Hefner!"

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The reason I asked is right now I can afford around $35,000-$40,000 for a play toy, and it seems I can buy a lot more Porsche than Ferrari for that kind of money. It would be nice to be able to afford a 360, but I can't....

20. vogel

vogel Karting

Jun 21, 2001
    Powder Springs, GA
    Full Name:
    Charles Byrd
    I don't know why I chose a Ferrari over a Porshe, but these things may shed some light on it.

I've never almost wrecked while trying to look at a Porshe.
    People talk about the practicality of a Porshe, they talk about the mystique of a Ferrari.
    People do not associate Porshes with women....

I've never wanted to enjoy the drive and the sound of a Porshe.

21. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Hot, sexy, fun to ride and sooooo high maintenance.

(Oooooo , that was bad!)

22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Take cameras.

You can shoot with a nikon or canon and take a great picture.
    You can shoot with a Leica and create a great Image with a little more sharpness, a little more color, and a little more something magical.

I have a classic 911 and it will always look good without going out of style, be bulletproof mechanically, and it will outperform most of TODAY's sportscars. I will have a blast driving it and won't get tired of it. The classic 911 is absolutely STUNNING to me. I agree that the 996 lost my interest.

I am going to add a Ferrari 12 cylinder for the icing on the cake and for all the other great examples listed above.

I say you really need both. Find ones that will age well and that you won't get tired of.

Robb Williamson
    Centennial, Colorado
    www.williamsonimages.com

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I only drove 2 porsches ( 996 C2 and 996 Turbo )

They feel hermetic, i didnt feel connected to the car..It was so easy ..I had my licence for just 2 years when i drove the Turbo and wasnt scared to push it on a mountain road with snow..
    I like being scared.

24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've owned 2 Ferraris in my life (both 250s, when they were pretty cheap),

I would think that if you have owned two 250 Series cars, you should be able to answer the question.

25. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I don't have an F or P car but this quote from Jeremy Clarkson pretty well sums things up:

"Ferrari...is a scaled down version of....god. And a Porsche 911 is like a trumped up VW Beetle."

:D :D :D :D