If you had 180k to spare? | FerrariChat

If you had 180k to spare?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 6.0 se, Jun 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

With 175-180k to spend, which would you buy

1. Ford GT

2. Lambo Gallardo

3. Ferrari 360 coupe

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    It appears to me, that the Ford GT will settle in at the 175k-180k level on early cars. Just an educated guess. If you had your choice, what would you buy??

2. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    If I were to choose 1 car in that price range I would go with a Ruf RGTRS in Mexico Blue. Might not be the fastest for the $$, but I just love the looks, balance and N/A engine.

*on a side note, the Ford GT build story is on Discovery right now.

*edit* just saw the choices at the top.........whoops........ It would be a tough one between the 360 and Gallardo. ah Gallardo!

3. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

no way would I pay that for the new GT. I like them, but just can't see that kind of money for one at all. Buy half an f40 or 288GTO!

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Hey Jim.Do you think they are worth MSRP of 150ish? Just curious. I have my thoughts, thats why I took this poll.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Cant go against the 360, love those looks, the performance is awsome on track and it holds personal sentiment being the first Ferrari I ever expierenced in full force on the track! I know many will mention that "The GT or Gallardo has better this or better that....." But I still would choose the awsome 360 every single time :)

6. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    I hope no one mentions that stuff on this poll. They are all great cars(well,the Ford is not yet proven).I Look for any comments and reasons. I love the 360 myself.

7. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Something about the GT just unsettles me...maybe the headlights or the way the nose doesnt curve down the right way like the original did. I dont know.

I choose the Gally, it just looks awesome in that dark metallic red that Bannana Boat has. Ill never complain about 500hp.

8. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Wow. Very even poll. Amazing.

9. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex

Well I have seen it a million times, not so much on this board, but people without the cars (me :() will many times just judge cars by they're performance figures etc, and then start arguments just because one car does 0-60 .3 seconds faster then then other, therefore making it the better car to vote for.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    XJ 220. I've been thinking a lot about that car lately.

I voted for the Ford.

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Why the Jag? I think their current price is in this range, if not lower. I have heard nothing but negatives about this car for alot of years. Just curious. The looks?

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Actually, it was the car that got me interested in cars, so I suppose I really will have to get one at some point. I was in France on vacation, and my hotel had a book about Jaguars (in French.) I was flicking through, looking at the pictures, and the last segment was on the XJ-220. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was silver, and I thought it was absolutely stunning. Then, after France, I went over to England, where there's a place called Beaulieu automotive museum. http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/ It's a great place. My family figured that since I was looking at this book every two minutes, I would like to visit the museum. Well, they had brand new XJ-220! Well, seeing it in person sealed the deal for me. It was just spectacular. And, from them on, I loved cars. So, it holds a special place in my heart.
    Yes, I think it is in the price range, probably around $200,000 now. At this price, it's a real bargain. The only negatives that I have heard people discuss are that the interior is bland (I would neverthelesss leave it stock,) expensive upkeep, and stock brakes that are really bad and should probably be replaced with aftermarket.

13. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    A.J. I know what you are thinking...You are leaning towards the GT over the Gallardo and your are wondering about board opinion. I know you were being polite putting the 360 in the mix. Don't worry about it get the GT ...
    Everything indicates it should be the objective choice unless you prefer the esthetics of one of the others. Let me know if you find two!!!!HA!

14. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    For 180K? I'd get an MB SL55 and Hummer H2, ( which I have now. ) Have to think realistically, since I live in the midwest and come winter time it would be really hard to watch the Lambo or Ferrari just sit in the garage. My father owns the MB. Its a car for older, soon to be retired types, but please try one instead of placing biased opinion or inflated magazine articles written about it. Its just a great blend of everything: bulletproof engine, awesome gizmos, great up keep. Once the 65 range comes out, it will unfortunately make Ferrari and Lambo appear as if they have been sitting too traditionaly on their overblown reps. To be honest, I think it might force European gov's to start placing massive power restrictions, ( as shown in the early 90s with BMW, MB and Porsche agreeing to restrictors once winds of gov reg came howling. )
    If nothing steps in, then the next starter Ferrari and Lambos will have 700 HP, which is just crazy. How else would they compete with 700 hp Chrysler Sebrings, opps I mean MB CL 65s passing them left and right.
    Out of the three, the Ford looks the best ( just because of its classic connection to the GT40, ) the Lambo definitely the best all around and performance wise, and the Ferrari most fun to just throw around a track around like a supermodel with a drinking problem around the city. But I wish people would start thinking seriously, which is why I take the SL and H2, and remove some bias and notice how unfortunately scary it is that MB, and now Audi, are just flying with their huge saloons. Lambo and Ferrari please wake up!

RocketBoy

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I voted Ford, which would only be if the car was there for delivery immediately. Otherwise I'd get a Gallardo and wait until the Ford depreciates to $100-120k and then have both (assuming constant or increasing amounts of 'toy money' on my part).

By the time I end up in this purchasing bracket the only 360 that would interest me would be a CS (now only used available at $225-230k), or getting a '99 6 spd and getting the full Imola Racing N-GT kit. I'd still go Gallardo over regular 360, for the extra performance and the AWD making it more sturdy for year-round fun.

16. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That pic of the Gallardo is AWSOME!

17. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    WAYNE!! You read me totally!!.I cant believe it.Right to the 360 in the mix!!LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Nice commentary barrister!! Harvard law is learnin' you good!!

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks AJ. And yes, if I had a Gallardo I would take it out in the snow a few times a year for kicks.

"Uh, yes officer, I'd like to report that there's a Lamborghini doing donuts in the parking lot at Safeway... "

Maybe my plate would read, "WNTRBTR" :)

20. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Of the choices I went for the Ford GT - I know this is F-chat and I am sure the 360 is a fantastic car but I haven't warmed up to it yet.

Realistically, with that money I'd have a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud DHC as I now have three two-seater convertibles and I really need a four-seater for those trips to pick up friends at the airport and such.

Cheers
    Kevin

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i would bet the g car.... or i would add 25k and find a used 02 murci... if i was to buy a 360coupe, i would buy a 2000 for 130k and get an m3 as a daily driver... or just get another diablo... perhaps a different color or a roadster.... its still way cooler than any of the three choices..btw,,, what si the avaiblity ofthe ford gt?

22. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Thought I would try to get a few more votes by moving it to the top.

Very close voting!!

23. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just cast vote #69 for the Lambo

Out of 69 votes only 22 would buy a 360 today.

Two years ago all 69 votes would have gone to the 360, and that's why we saw such long lines to get a new F-car.

Ferrari is in for some new marketing lessons...if this poll says anything.

24. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Very, very good poll - If the 360 had 500HP it would win hands down IMHO. Its being 100 HP+ down to the other two - make the others compelling. Both the GT and the Gallardo are fantastic cars.

This is a very, very close one for me. At the end of the day - I would take the 360. There is still something magical about a Ferrari that I cant put my finger on. After all if HP were the only consideration, the Viper at 500HP and the Porsche GT2 would be in the mix too.

If I "needed" 500 HP, then I would get the Gallardo. Something about NA Italian beasts!

But I agree - 2 years ago, the Ferrari would win this poll hands down. Now it is getting passed by.

25. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Good point Mark. I can't believe how even this poll is. Amazing.