Speed TV and Indy | FerrariChat

Speed TV and Indy

Discussion in 'F1' started by sduke, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Am I the only one that feels Speedvision's coverage of the Indy F1 practice sessions and qualifying sessions have been fantastic? Steve Matchett's technical stories in the pits has been the best I have ever seen. Getting Ferrari to pull the bodywork off of the 2004 was a stroke of genius, and then to have BAR show off the carbon fiber transmission was amazing.

Before the weekend began I had read where a lot of people didn't find Indy to be a real test for F1. But I find the track to be quite good at forcing the teams to make difficult decisions in set-up which has made the field much closer in terms of lap-times. I think this could be one of the best races of the season.

Call me fawning idiot, but I have watched every minute of coverage and enjoyed every minute. I find myself wishing we got this kind of coverage for every race.

2. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, Steven. Both the breadth and depth of the coverage has been stunning, IMO, and sending an e-mail of appreciation and kudos is on my to-do list.

One minor annoyance for me was some mindless chattering by the commentators during a few of the final qualifying runs, totally unrelated to the car/driver on track at the time. I felt like they had plenty of time to address those topics during the extended coverage they provided. Overall, though, I thought they did an outstanding job, and intend to let them know that...

dn

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Their coverage was pretty good. Especially with Derek Daily in pitlane, the man knows what he is talking about. Not like Varsha who calls a Jordan a Sauber.
    :(

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I also thought the coverage was fantastic. I got to learn some new things about F1 from the technical aspect and enjoyed the intelligent and high quality commentary. I wish every race had this type of coverage, but I guess we will have to wait till Indy '05 for it again:(.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You can clearly tell the difference when the reporters are on site as opposed to just watch "our" feed. Matchett hanging out the window observing the Ferrari crew and forecasting the imminent pitstop, superb!

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    But, if Bernie wants F1 to become popular in the USA, he must have the races on broadcast TV as well as Speed.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point. I lost my cable feed before the race. Nothing to do, but wait it out.
    :(

8. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I thought the coverage on speed TV was decent. I still wis that there was one dedicated F1 TV Channel. F1 TV... now that would be fantastic!