328 speedometer reads high? | FerrariChat

328 speedometer reads high?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just confirmed what I thought was the case: that my 328's speedometer is reading high... The one data point I have is at 40mph it reads 48. I'm not sure at this point if this is a fixed amount at all speeds (8mph), proportional to the speed (e.g., 20% higher), or some more complex function.

My mechanic swapped out the speedometer generating unit (speedo sender) (I have the old part) but the behavior with the new sender is identical.

A few questions. First, does the higher speed mean miles will accumulate faster? (I have yet to verify whether or not this is the case.) Is the device that turns the trip odometer and odometer separate from the speed generator itself?

Second, does the speedo just need to be recalibrated, or is it "fatally" flawed? If it needs recalibration, I may take it to a well-known shop here in Albuquerque called "Mo Ma" to check their capabilities / business practice.

Ferrari of UK, you wouldn't happen to have any specials on Speedos? :)

Take care,

--Mike

2. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
  3. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    your speedo reading seems normal in the world of 80s ferrari speedos - 8 to 10 mph fast. I don't beleive this causes the miles to accumulate faster as it a seperate unit