Who will win at Wimbledon? | FerrariChat

Who will win at Wimbledon?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bobleb, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    Roger Federer is (IMHO) the flat-out best player in the world. In fact, he's the only player I would give a chance to beat Sampras at Pete's prime. I look for him to score a repeat. His biggest threat will be Henman, who is playing very well and is a natural grass-courter. I don't think ARod will be there at the end, despite his recent rash of 150+ MPH serves.

I think it will be another all-Williams final on the women's side, and again I think Venus is too "fragile" to beat Serena. With the two Belgians out, and with everyone else seemingly hurting in one way or another, I don't think the sisters have much competition (unless of course THEY get injured).

2. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    There were a couple tennis players who had a winning record / or held their own against Sampras even on his favorite surface grass, that was Richard Kraiechek... He beat sampras on centre court in 96.. Pat rafter had to go through sampras to win the US Open, and Agassi took on Sampras a couple times in his prime..

3. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    You are correct that Krajicek was one of the very few players with a lifetime edge (6-4) on Sampras, including a victory at Wimbledon.

Sampras held a career edge of 20-14 versus Agassi, though, and won both matches they played on grass.

Pete's career edge over Patrick was 12-4. While Rafter did win on hard courts at the USO, Sampras won their one meeting on grass (Wimby 2000).

My real point (which of course has nothing to do with this year's tournament) is that in my opinion, Sampras on his best day could beat anyone else who ever played on their best day, especially on grass. But Federer is the one player who makes me doubt that opinion.

4. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    we will never know,,, and Federer hasn't been on the tour long enough to show what he can really do....

5. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Federer for the men
    J Cap for the ladies (my darkhorse)

I think Henny's done. Pity Gaudio can't play the tourney. His final vs. Coria is quite possibly the best match I've seen ever!

Paul

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Don"t really have any interest in tennis but I can tell you the winner will not be British!!

7. Danysh

Danysh Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Danysh Framroze
    contrary to popular belief I think this might be Tim Henman's year to shine.