Garage Queen maintance...... | FerrariChat

Garage Queen maintance......

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ronsupercar, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Hi guys! Happy New Year to ALL...

I haven't started a thread for some time and just thought of a good question.

I am a firm believer that Ferraris are ment to be driven. My question is for those that may put 2K miles a year or less on their cars.

How do you maintain the car to keep things from going bad ?

2. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Ron, I bought my '89 328 five years ago with 13K miles. It now has 19K. I probably put 2500 miles on the car the first year and have been averaging 700-1000 miles per year since.

To answer your question, nothing special. I try to get it out every week or two and drive it at least 10-15 miles. I've changed the oil annually and recently had the 30K completed (it was last done seven years ago). In 5 years, I've had zero problems... and I mean that literally (knocking on wood). My car has never been in a shop for any repairs. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or the fact that 328's are truly reliable F-cars.

As our old friend Ed Gault once wrote on F-Chat, these are no different from any other cars, they're just mechanical devices. The more they're used, the more likely you'll experience problems and failures. Ed also mentioned he'd take a low mileage car over a higher mileage car any day.

On the other hand, I would never buy a car that just sat in a museum (or a garage) and was never used.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My Lotus had put on 750 miles in 7 years when I bought it. I did an immediate overhaul of rubber, brakes and front end suspension, then drove the hell out of it for a year and put stuff back on faster than it fell off. In addition, I upgraded obviously weak spots as my budget and expertise allowed. It was laid up 3 months. Drove it more, did more work. Keep driving...eventually nothing new falls off and nothing new breaks. You now have a reliable car!! Amazing for a Lotus or a Ferrari, but you too can get there. Drive!!

Ken

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    800-1000 miles is plenty to keep things working well, assuming the mileage is spread out evenly over the course of a year.

I think frequency is more important than mileage-- if you let more than a month or two go by, then I'd start to be concerned.