Had to take it for a spin today! | FerrariChat

Had to take it for a spin today!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by thomas_b, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I haven't driven the car for two weeks - almost forgotten what it feels when the exhaust by-pass opens – it rides as well as it looks! - temperatures have been around freezing and there is gravel all over the roads – but I could not resist - don’t expect the P Zero Corsa’s to have any grip at all

2. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
  3. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    That is one fine looking machine thomas_b.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Sharp looking car. I've been driving my GTB any chance I get in the past few weeks. Just make sure to warm it up really well first and then you are off to the races.

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    would not mind the cold - but the type of gravel they put on the roads in the Seattle area is bejond funny - sand or stuff like that fine but they use little stones with very sharp edges - shhh

6. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very sharp looking car.

Regards,
    Chris

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Good for you tom....just got in from my start up and run around the block. Been 6 weeks since I drove her. In toronto, say thing...raining, and lot of crap on the road, but just had to hear my 12 fire up today before a busy work week

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    hi thomas,

i have a friend in florida who just received his stradale. he was expecting the car to be a lot louder than it apparently is. i heard a euro stradale while i was in italy. it was definitely loud (a good loud). i'm wondering if a US stradale quieter? what do you think? have you ever heard a euro stradale? if so how does your US stradale compare? regardless, can you describe how your car sounds :)

my stradale is scheduled to arrive in february so i'll soon be able to answer these questions myself :) but i'm really curious if the US stradale sounds different than the euro version. from all the posts i've read on this subject and my own sources it is all but certain that the US and euro exhaust systems are identical. one difference i know of is that the US car has pre-cats, but a friend of mine at ferrari explained that this would not change the sound. here's what he said on this subject:

"In some cars it (pre-cats) might alter the note slightly but in our system it does not because the note is tuned and created in the silencer part of the system."

maybe the answer is obvious, but once the bypass valves open does this mean that the silencer portion of the exhaust system is bypassed completely? if this is true then am i right to conclude that both the US and euro versions would sound the same?

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Nice car! So much nicer than a regular 360.

10. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    I envy you. The car looks great. One questions though, does anyone here who owns a 360 CS opt for the stripe down the center of the car? All the pics I've seen on the board don't have it.

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i ordered a rosso scuderia CS with the stripe :) i also have a friend in zurich who ordered the stripe. the stripe looks great on this car.

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Thomas,

I took a cue from you and took my 360 out for a spin during the Seahawk's halftime break. Felt great to have the car on the road after 6 days. Saw a silver 360 spider on Avondale road going the other direction.

Didn't have much trouble with gravel or black ice until I was nearly home. Went sideways taking off from a stoplight. I think I gave the pedestrians a good show. :)

13. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Awesome 360CS and it is great that you guys drive them even when its cold out. They have heat for a reason. BTW how does the heat work on 360's? :)
    Erik

14. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Heat works great in a 360. So does the A/C in the summer.

15. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    give the exhaust some time to open up - you have to kick it in race mode to hear what the car can do - I doubt that you get the full sound before the brake-in period is over (well if you stick to it)

there was actually a mpeg floating around titled "360 Challange Stradale on track" that showed a red CS with a strip going around a track - the sound was pretty characteristic – maybe someone has a URL I only have the stradale.mpeg file?

the following is my favorite movie - less sound but what Benuzzi says is the Truth! http://www.ferrariowners.org.my/stradalevideo_test.wmv

Another good one although in German (silver with stripe a great combination!
    )
    http://lsd.newmedia.tiscali-business.com/bb/redirect.lsc?stream=sport1//de/Motorvision/motorvision/mv46-ferrstrada_wmt_adsl.asf&content=content&media=ms

what is so amazing is when the by-pass opens and that very metallic sound like a fighter jet starts to emanate like bloaaaa.... - you don't hear that on a dyno because of the constant acceleration - you actually can play with the effect :)

we have discussed the US/EU differences at length - search for a thread started by Wazza - my conclusion was that the cars are equally loud and that with the exception of the air injection stuff headers, cat, and exhaust are the same

16. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Cool – I love black 360s ... I was on the MS campus, which is full of ice :) - I am always amazed how easy the 360 can be caught when it is sideways to the extrem – I am still waiting that the car teaches me a lesson

17. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Red360Stradale
    I envy you. The car looks great. One questions though, does anyone here who owns a 360 CS opt for the stripe down the center of the car? All the pics I've seen on the board don't have it.

Originally Posted by 720
    i ordered a rosso scuderia CS with the stripe i also have a friend in zurich who ordered the stripe. the stripe looks great on this car.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered mine - Rosso Corsa (I decided to go with the traditional red) with Factory painted stripe. The build date is Feb with late March delivery. I can't wait...;-)

18. Stradaleman

Stradaleman Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    #18 Stradaleman, Jan 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Took the Stradale out today as well. We have had constant rain since taking delivery two weeks ago, but the sun was out today. Hard to follow the break-in protocol and show some restraint on the revs. The sound is great but can't compare to the soundtracks that were posted since I have a few more miles to go before letting it totally loose.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Beautiful! Those wheels looks just perfect with the car.

20. shelbee

shelbee Guest

That was me Willis

21. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Thomas: car looks amazing!!!

22. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    nice pics!

23. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    nice picture!!!

one thing you might want to look into is a protective plastic for the outer edge of the rear air intake for the break cooling duct (lower intake before the rear wheels)

the paint of mine is in pretty bad shape already now! - I assume the front wheel kicks up dirt that has the effect of sandpaper on the edge - paint chips are also pretty visible with the red color if the undercoat shows through

I am thinking of getting it fixed and protect it with the plastic film that F had on my Modena (not sure if it is available as part) or to get some specially cut from the aftermarket folks – I am not a big fan of the protective film but it seems to be the lesser evil in that spot (for my taste)

24. Stradaleman

Stradaleman Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Thomas,

The outer edges of the rear brake intakes on my Stradale came covered with a protective film just as in other 360s. I wonder why yours came without it? A nuisance to have to touch up the rock chips.

25. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Lovely cars guys. I have total sympathy with you about the weather.
    I bought a new bike last week & am eager to ride it, but the conditions are just too lethal.

Roll on Spring & Summer!!!

Phil