Ansa Exhaust Tips Rusting | FerrariChat

Ansa Exhaust Tips Rusting

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WillS, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WillS

WillS Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is a problem for most vintage F-car owners with Ansa (and maybe Abarth, etc.) exhaust systems. My pipes are badly rusted out at the front portion of the 4 chrome tip/resonator units (see picture). The pipes slant downwards from the tips, which creates a natural place for water to accumulate in the "bowl", which is formed by the resonator tips where they become a larger pipe diameter at the beginning of the last foot or so of pipe. Hope I 'splained that well.

Anyhow, has anyone tried drilling drain hole(s) at the beginning of the "bowl" on the bottom of the resonators (about where the red arrows point to) to allow the water to drain out? I have a new set of Ansa tailpipes coming and would like to keep those from rusting out. Would holes drilled there affect the sound much? I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has tried this or any other modification to solve this problem.

Thanks,
    Will

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've drilled 3/16" holes in similar places on other cars. Couldn't hear a thing. Am convinced it kept them from rusting out as you suggest.

BTW, it's pretty common for mufflers to have drain holes or slots down low on the exhaust exit side & they're not noticeably noisy either.

In the case of resonators, the muffler has pretty well quietened things down before the exhaust gets to the resonator.