battery emergency disconnect | FerrariChat

battery emergency disconnect

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by adesalos, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    Is there someone that has a battery emergency disconnect installed in his 3x8 cockpit?
    Is so, how is the set up, is there some kits, and what are the dos and donts about it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    On a 328 there is one on the driver (ground) side. While it is not in the cabin, you can easily get at it by raising the hood that covers the spare tire. If I had to, I could get at it in about 5 seconds after stopping the vehicle. It is a plug that pulls apart and is subject to corrosion which can cause the vehicle not to start.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    On my 308 GTS I mounted a battery disconnect switch to the underside of the spare tire cradle at the left of the battery (drivers side) and rerouted (and added to) the negative battery cable that attaches to the passenger side of the battery. The switch is operated by a pushrod that extends through the firewall to a TEE handle behind the brake and clutch pedals.

The handle in no way interferes with the operation of the clutch or brake. When I park the car I just tap the TEE handle with my toe and the car is dead. This is especially handy if an electrical fire breaks out!

I can also hook the TEE handle with my toe to turn it on.

No more mysterious battery drain either.

The switch I am using is called "The Big Switch" and is sold by Flamming River products. Can't remember the model number but it's the one that includes the push rod and mounting bracket. Used on dragsters and is NHRA approved. It will also handle over 1500 amps draw.

Hope this helps, DJ

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #4 Spasso, Nov 3, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You're welcome.

DJ

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Lawrence: The 308's have it in the same place.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Carb 308's do not have a factory battery disconnect. The previous owner of my (previous) 308, had a battery disconnect switch installed on the drivers side, near the spare tire well, and the divider to the radiator. He also had a large (race car starting type) plug installed for jumpstarting. I was able to get a plug to match from Pegasus Racing. The also sell the switches.

Dave